1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Electronificated dot sights on handguns...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by B27, Nov 4, 2012.

1. B27

B27 New Member

I was born with screwed up eyes.
    Extremely nearsighted and have worn glasses since I was six.

The development of electronic sights for pistols is a blessing to me.

Any other fans?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

While they do have their uses, they have no use for me. I carry pistols for self defense only. You have some nice looking pistols there :).
  3. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

I like them when they are working right, but when they don't work it makes for a bad time. For target shooting like steel plate, and so on they're great. But, I don't like them for precision target shooting, or hunting. I had a buddy miss a very nice Deer because his battery went dead at just the wrong time.

So it's iron sites for personal protection for me, and hunting. Unless it's a really big bore revolver that can reach out there, and then it's a good 4x handgun scope with plenty of eye relief. Just my ten cents worth. If you like them more power to you.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Batteries are not forever. Who would go hunting without replacing the used battery in their red dot before they left? Or not double check the on-off switch to be sure the battery does not wear down in the gun case.

Cheapy red dots fail. Good ones like the UltraDot's don't. My favorite is the bottom of the line UltraDot one inch tube type with the single dot. It is not cheap. I have several, none of which has ever failed.

I use them for target shooting and plinking in the field (no can is safe around my red dotted guns!). I dial up the red dot so it flares to a size that just covers the black ring. If I keep the dot inside the ring the accuracy of the my shooting is increased remarkably over iron sights. Red dots are the go-to sights for Bullseye competition because they enhance the shooter's accuracy. They give the same increased sighting accuracy effect as a long barreled iron sighted gun with a very long sight radius. They are not to be shunned for target shooting. But we all have our preferences based on what works best for us. Old eyes love red dots.

LDBennett
  5. B27

B27 New Member

I LOVE the 30mm UltraDot. :)

I have them on one pistol and three rifles.
  6. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

As I recall the story, he didn't think the battery was all that old. He had been hunting quite a bit that week, and (as I can remember) he said there was no dimming to warn him it was going to quit. It was there nice and bright, then it wasn't. He replaced the battery and it came back on, but too late for the shot he had... But, I got all this information second hand, and it's been more then ten years ago.

If I was to change the battery every time I went out during a firearms season, I would easily go through 10 batteries a season. If it doesn't come on first time every time, most Deer won't stick around while I fumble around changing out a battery on my gun.

As for me using a "Dot" sight while hunting... I just find them too bright even on the lowest settings (maybe I've never had the right one). When hunting in the Midwest in the woods there are too many shadows and low light situations to pick up the vital area of a Deer with a bright dot. Could just be me? Like I said, if someone likes them more power to them, but I'm not a big fan. :) I prefer good ole iron sights myself, just what I've learned to use I guess.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The UltraDots can be dimmed until the dot disappears.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  8. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

Single plane focus with both eyes open for handgun hunting is a serious advantage over any other system.
    My Blackhawk Hunter is equipped with a scope(2-6x) and a reflex sight as well as Williams firesights.
    The Ruger dovetail returns to zero every time with the right mounts, I've switched them off and on and it works great.
    I ain't given' up nothin' when it comes to my hunting! :)
  9. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

Heck ya as years go by I'm needing those little red dots more and more at 25 yards. Bifocals are a pain when shooting targets at that distance and the red dot elimates that problem for me.
  10. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

I just ordered my first optical site. I'm waiting on a Burris fastfire III. I am going to add it to one of my range guns for plinking. Ill let you know what I think when I try it out.
  11. nosreme

nosreme Guest

I have one (a Fastfire III) only on my Buckmark, which I soemtimes use to recalibrate trigger control after more than a few days of not shooting. I think it's pretty neat, but a novelty. For a couple of much older shooters whose eyesight prevented them from accurately and enjoyably shooting their iron-sighted 22s, use of my red-dotted Buckmark was a revelation. They both have red-dots on all their guns now and are enjoying shooting more than they have in years.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2012
  12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

I have used red dot type sights since 1978 and one lasted me 20 full years on a 357 hunting revolver. Killed many a hog with it too. I now have a good burris 135 speed dot on a 44mag for the last couple years. Like others, I went to them when quick shots were needed that can't be done with open sights and not so great eyes.