ELG Belgian markings

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wildrose_68, Jun 21, 2012.

1. wildrose_68

wildrose_68 New Member

I am completely new to posting, but I reference your site alot when my husband has me research.
    A friend is looking for info on a Belgian ELG with crown so I know it is 1893 - 1920's, but I can't find out what the other markings are. I know this piece isn't worth much at all, but it is neat and a piece of history.
    I can't figure out how to post pictures.:eek:
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Until we can see pics, I guess your neat piece of history that isn't worth much will have to remain unidentified.

Jim
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

4. wildrose_68

wildrose_68 New Member

There is also an R with a star above and an o below the "R" on the barrell next to the body

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum wildrose.

The star over R is just a Liege proofhouse inspector's mark.

The other marks may identify unknown "cottage industry" piece workers; they are not registered makers' marks.

You can probably narrow period to 1893-1914 when WW-1 intervened...
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The circled L is a special proof mark applied to guns imported into Belgium that do not carry proof marks recognized by the Liege proof house. The major countries which either did not have proof or whose marks were not recognized were the U.S. and Spain. Since that gun is not American, I suspect its real origin was Spain.

Jim
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Jim, that mark dates from 1924 and has what looks like a pot of flames on top, and he states it has the regular post-1892 ELG in oval with crown proof.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I stand corrected, but what does the circle L mark without the flames mean?

Jim
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Circle L, don't know, but it is not a known makers mark. At least not a registered one:) You know, zooming up on that , it may not be a letter at all. After staring at it until my eyes started crossing, it is not an L and it is not a complete circle, It is a stylized emblem of some type, what I don't know.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  10. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

I think it is a cursive L; looks just like the one in proofmark Jim cited.

One finds many odd marks under Belgian handgun grips, but their proofmarks were not hidden there.
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It could be a old or bad stamp. What puzzles me is the uneven thickness of the letter , the emblem or object next to the whatever and the designs on the partial rim. I guess only Lamont Cranston knows for sure.:)
  12. wildrose_68

wildrose_68 New Member

Well thank all of you. Spain ... wouldn't have thought that. For insurance, what are we talking price wise?
  13. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I think the consensus was Belgium made, value 75 to 150 JAWAG:)
  14. Roc54

Roc54 New Member

I just acquired a short barrel rifle with markings of ELG in an oval with a star under the ELG and a crown on top of it. There is also a A with a star above the markings. Everything else is worn. Looks like 30 is stamped on the top of the barrel. Any idea what this rifle may be, What caliber, where it was made?
  15. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF.

Without a clear photo, the only thing significant in above info is that the crown at top of oval indicates made in Belgium sometime after 1892.

Usually, they turn out to be one of the cheap Flobert or Warnant types made for indoor practice with sub-power rounds, and unsafe with any current ammo.