elk in the yard

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UncleFudd, Jun 26, 2012.

1. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

I thought I would share a few pics of the elk in my yard as they come to drink.
    I put the 350 gal tank half on my side of the fence and half on the side of the Apache sitgreaves national forest that runs along the entire East and north border of the ranch. It makes it really nice to be able to ride through the gate that I installed in the forest fence and ride all over the entire national forest in addition to my own place. I have a full section along my East fence and two complete sections along the north side of my place to go out and play on when we want to ride for a while.

There were so many elk coming every night to get water especially this time of year when the forest is so dry, that the Game and fish dept here in Az brought another 350 gal tank and placed it beside mine. I still couldn't keep them full so I installed an automatic shotoff on one of the tanks so it keeps it topped off, all the time now.

Anyway, I put my camera with the 80-400 lens just inside the screen door of my game room downstairs and waited in the evening until the elk came and thought i would get a few pics to show. The first 6 elk were all bulls as you can see some of the antlers beginning to form in the velvet. They were from the size of nubs , (three to five inches) out to over two feet long at this time.

These 6 got water and then grazed on down into the meadow and about 10 minutes later another 7 animals showed up and these were also all bulls with about the same size horns. Then after they left about 25 to 30 head of cows and calves showed up and began to play and carry on at the tank and then several of them began to graze right toward the house and actually got within 50 yards of me and the camera at one time.

I will continue to watch them and get more pics of the bulls as they grow and send the later if I can get some more pics. But as the monsoon rains start and water begins to be more plentiful, they do not show up as regukary and most of the ones that do are the cows and calves. The bulls become more evasive. But I will watch and get pics if I can.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. RichR

RichR Member

Neat pics
  3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

:thumbsup:
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Those are great pics.
  5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

No matter how hard I try, I just can't imagine elk in Arizona. :confused:

Great pics Fudd.
  6. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Thanks guys and gals.
    Bobitus, I think Az has one of the largest elk herds in the nation now. I am not sure what, if any state has more of a population than Az has currently. When one takes into consideration how badly the wolves have and continue to decimate the elk herds in Wy, Idaho and Montana, I am fairly certain these numbers will continue to grow as well.

As I pointed out, there are so many of them coming to just these two tanks every evening and night, they will drain one of the 350 gal tanks to the point they are dry in about 6 days if you can imagine. That is the reason I contacted the G&F to tell them I was having trouble keeping the tank full and they brought another tank just like mine out a few days later and placed it right next to mine. Very good of them.

Last week on one of the evenings prior to my taking these pics, we counted as closely as possible, 127 head of cows, calves and bulls, as they came to drink at these tanks between 5:30 PM and dark. There are more of them drinking all night and many of the cows and calves are still coming the last thing in the morning up until about 07:30. We have not seen many after that time.

Also you may find it interesting that I just had the right timing to see a big mountain lion follow some of the cows and their calves into the timber early one morning about two weeks ago. I had seen the cows and their babies go into the timber just about 500 yards from our house and a few minutes later I glanced up to where I had seen them disappear and saw the lion go into the timber exactly where they had gone. Very lucky and perfect timing as the lion was only visible for a few seconds before it went out of sight. My wife and i both have seen two of these big cats near our place on several occasions, but this was a first time seeing one of them following the elk.

Glad to hear so many of you enjoyed these pics. Always worry that I am taking up good space away from firearms issues so it is good to know others enjoy the wildlife as well.
    As I said, if it is OK, I will try to get more pics of the bulls as their "clown stickers" get bigger. (that is rodeo parlance for horns) for any of the folks from SLC who need explanation of the finer things. LOL

UF
  7. geds

geds New Member

WAY COOL Fudd! I always enjoy your posts. You are very lucky to live where you do! Thanks for sharing with us suburbanites!
  8. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Thanks geds and remember, the light is always on and the coffee is always hot, strong and plentiful.

You are right, I am truly Blessed to live where I do and to be able to see these things almost daily and even more so to have a lady who enjoys them as much or more (if possible) as do I.

so glad you enjoyed.

UF
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i will check out pics when i get home
  10. BRSmith

BRSmith Member

:thumbsup: Very nice!
  11. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

My favorite place to hunt is just east of Elk City ID. Last time I was up there no Elk in the usual places. After two days went into town to the market and was talking to one of the locals who said that most of the Elk had moved into town due to the Wolfs...
    DON"T LET THEM INTRODUCE THOSE THINGS IN AZ
  12. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Sweet. Dry as a bone here. Rains are starting up though. Bit early...hope it bodes well for a long, wet monsoon. We'll see. At least we're not burning the state to the ground like year's past, or like Colorado.
  13. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

do you get worried about the big cats? I know I would. might be a good idea to keep a rifle near the door/window.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Great picks! Thanks for posting them, and we will be looking for more!
  15. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

VERY neat set up for the Elk UF and some awesome pictures!
    Keep those pics coming, enjoy them. I have a feeder set up for Whitetail Deer here and as we are starting into a drought as it seems, alot of the deer are hanging out at or around the ponds.
    I came across a big old buck yesterday that was actually laying in the edge of the water in a pond back in the woods and another one that was bedded down in a pond's cattails late in the evening and the pond was right out in the sun.
    I thought at my feeding area, I'd "try" and supply them with some water, as I've never tried it before. I set up a 5gall. black bucket near the feeder and they are curious, but wont drink out of it? I know they NEED the water but they havent drank out of it in a week as of yet. Maybe in time?

Nice set-up for the Elk and keep those pics coming!