1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Elmer Kieths legendary shot...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JLA, Sep 12, 2009.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I got my most recent issue of Handloader (#262) and was reading up on Brian Pearce's article on pg. 74 about Elmer Kieths legendary 600 yd shot on a wounded muley with an early S&W .44 magnum (pre-Model 29) and factory REM-UMC .44 Magnum (240 gr. lead gascheck at an advertised 1570 fps.) Im inspired to duplicate remingtons 1957/58 era factory loading using a lee 240 gr gascheck cast bullet and alliant 2400. Elmer Kieth was a great man and an invaluable contributor to the shooting world, and one of my personal favorite 'gun guys'. If you guys havent yet read this article, you need to. Its full of solid gold information about the ballistics performance of the .44 mag as well as some of Kieths personal favorite handloads...:cool:
  2. Rembrandt

Rembrandt Member

Did it mention he fired several rounds for effect...eventually walking the final shot up to its mark?

Makes you wonder what Elmer would think about the big handgun calibers available today.....500 SW etc.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yeah, Hed probably turn over in his grave at the mere sight of the monstrous X frame 500.
  4. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

I think he would be a big fan of the 460..... Imagine him at 1000 yards
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id be nervous to be on the business end of his revolver at any range. He was a true pistolero...
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I think it was the March 1956 "American Rifleman" that introduced the S&W 44 Magnum and its Remington Ammo. { I was doing other research, several years ago, and "tripped" across this article. I am working from memory here.}

The revolver had a nominal 6" or 6.5" barrel. The 240 grain lead alloy bullets (gaschecked I do not remember, but do not think so) were "apparently" propelled by 22 grains of Hercules 2400 for a claimed velocity of 1450 fps.

The NRA never saw better than 1350 fps! The average was about 1300. Some rounds chronoed as low as 1250 fps.

Not every "i" dotted, or "t" crossed, but I trust one gets the idea that advertising departments often take "certain liberties" with the truth.

I do not know if you can find a load this "hot" in any current manual. It will lead badly, without a gas check and 50/50 Alox-Beeswax lubricant. It will still lead, regardless. About 6000 of these loads would send 5 screw revolver back to the factory in need of significant rebuilding.

I
  7. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

Howdy Gents

It's good to see Elmer's name come up, he was a hell of a Pard, I followed his writing most of his life, if you haven't read his book, you owe it to yourself to do so, the book is " Hell I Was There " great book for anyone interested in firearms and shooting, for me it was reading in the times of my own Grandfather, and I was able to relate to Elmer's writing from some of the stories my Granddad told me.

Regards

tEN wOLVES :)
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

According to the article in Handloader #262 it was Vintage REM-UMC circa 1957/58, With a 240 gr Gascheched lead bullet. And advertized MV of 1570. The author chronyd the vintage ammo with results from his pistols were between 1425 to 1475 fps.