Empty shell not ejecting?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by BBSuggs, Dec 2, 2007.

1. BBSuggs

BBSuggs New Member

We just purchased a new Marlin Model 60 22 cal. As we load the 22LR High Velocity rounds, we're only able to get off one shot. The empty shell is not ejecting.

I can't see anything else to do with the charging handle. As I try to eject the remaining shells, they simply get caught on the shell in the barrel, which didn't eject automatically.

I admit to being a rookie with guns, but surely this isn't rocket science. Anybody care to offer some advice? Sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Bill
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

22's are the pickiest guns in the world try it with different brands and kinds of ammo. If it won't shoot any of them at all. You might have a messed up extractor or ejector.
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

It's dirty. Marlin 60's don't like a lot of residue in them.
    What ammo are you shooting. Mine won't shoot S&B at all.
    It likes Federals
  4. BBSuggs

BBSuggs New Member

It's a brand new gun out of the box, from Walmart. No doubt it could still have problems, but what a disappointment--especially if it's simply dirty.

We're shooting .22 cal LR Bird Shot by Federal, which was the ammo that's not ejecting. We also have a couple of boxes of 22 Thunderbolts by Remington.

Thanks to you guys for speedy replies.

Bill
  5. williamd

williamd New Member

NIB does not mean don't clean it ... it means CLEAN IT! Many factory new guns have machining metal, factory dried grease .... A recent M870 I bought (the most fail safe gun on the market) would hardly pump and chambering the shotshell took muscle. After using a can of BreakFree and toothbrush, I literally dug the 'new' grease out with a thin blade screw driver.
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

The Bird Shot will not cycle the bolt well on a Model 60... Those rounds are really made for revolver pistols, single-shot rifles or bolt-action rifles, but will not feed well in semi-autos.

Most other rounds should work very well in a clean model 60. These guys are right; 60s like to be cleaned regularly. Congratulations on the purchase!
  7. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Why are you shooting birdshot in a micro groove :eek::eek::eek::eek:

You will lead up the rifling in no time at all :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

this isn't rocket science
  8. BBSuggs

BBSuggs New Member

ANY new item out of a box should work, or it's not worth the factory worker who assembled it or the QC Dept that let it out the door. Did you redo the brakes in your Jag when you got it home?

But it is what it is. I'll clean it and try different ammo.
  9. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

However, Bird Shot clearly states that it will not cycle correctly in semi-autos. Don't blame the gun.
  10. BBSuggs

BBSuggs New Member

Ponycar17 . . . thanks for the helpful info. We have the bird shot ammo because it seemed to be the best shell for snakes and rodents. I planned on getting a 22 pistol as well, so perhaps that's the best application for those shells.

I'll try to use the Remington 22 Thunderbolts and see if it works a little better.

22WRF . . . now how would I know that? I don't even know what a micro groove is. Leading? In my earlier football days, I was good at leading my receivers . . . .

It's all new to me.

This is the first gun I've ever owned. Just wasn't raised with them. I'm struggling with skunks on our property, and killing them seems to be the only solution. I'm tired of shampooing our dog with hydrogen peroxide.

Thanks,
    Bill
  11. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Any NIB firearm has preservative on it and in it (it's sticky at that).
    They all need this removed and lubed out of the box.
    Sort of like have to break that Jag in.
  12. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I only had one gun out of the box that shot well. The rest all needed lubing and/or cleaning & lubing. :eek:
  13. BBSuggs

BBSuggs New Member

Interesting stuff. Good tips all 'round guys. Thanks. It's a starter rifle for me, and a good place to start it seems. There's obviously more to it than just pulling the trigger.

The bird shot box says nothing against semi-auto use. It doesn't say anything at all actually. If one didn't know otherwise, you'd think it would work.

Guitars are my hobby. I'll liken this situation to having to tune the guitar before you play it, in deference to the craftsmen who have mastered the art of interchangeable parts over the years. I guess I'll have to break this guy in. I notice the action is getting easier as I work with it. We'll see . . . .

Thanks again to all,
    Bill
  14. williamd

williamd New Member

:D:D:D
    Nope, but dealer had it three days final checking everything after it floated across the pond. But I do check every firearm and have found more than just goo-lube! ... plugged gas ports, loose screws, a recoil pad laying in the 'NIB' instead on the butt, rear sight elevation control not there, right side grip missing on NIB 1911 (screw was there but QC must have had a potty break:)), and more. Worst was machining shavings. This is over hundreds of firearms, maybe 10 out of 800 to 1000. ~1% is better than I have had on cars/trucks ... and airplanes! I do not consider it that bad. Part of the assemblers/QCs job is probably to "adequately" lube as they do not know if it will be stored NIB for 3 days or 300 days. Would not want a new owner to get it with corrosion spots.
  15. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

The reason bird shot rounds do not cycle in your rifle is because there is A LOT less powder in those rounds. It does not take as much energy to push shot out of the barrel as it does a bullet, so they only use about half the powder. There is just not enough energy to get the bolt pushed all the way back to flip that spent casing out. Using .22 shot shells in a semi auto 22 rifle is about like putting cello strings on your guitar. They function enough to make a sound, but it's not even close to the perfect marriage.
    Leading is when lead builds up inside the barrels rifling grooves. A bullet fits tight inside the barrel and conforms to the rifling grooves. The grooves spiral down the barrel and cause the bullet to spin. Spin gives stability and accuracy to the bullet. If enough lead builds up inside the barrel (leading), you end up filling the grooves (rifling) with lead and have a smooth bore.
    Since bird shot flys loose down the barrel and does not conform to the rifling, it bounces around leaving streaks and a build up of lead in the rifling grooves. Just a few streaks of lead can deteriorate accuracy very quickly.
    Don't worry, you have not done any permanent damage to your rifle. You just need to clean the leading out of the barrel. I believe Academy sells a couple of cleaning solvents that work on lead.

By the way, thanks for the tip on cleaning the skunked dogs with hydrogen peroxide. I have never heard of that. I use hydro perox. on dog urine stains in the carpet, and it works great! I also use it to wash deer/hog blood out of my clothes. Takes the blood right out. I didn't even think about using it to wash the skunk oil off of the dogs. Washing skunked dogs with tomato juice is about to break me.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2007