End All Be All of Rifles!

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Tony22-250, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Wow, Tony. That looks 'spensive.......:D
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sweet. :D
  4. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Only $2600 that's all! well when compared to the ACR this seems to be superior!

A machine gun grade Vanadium Alloy fluted barrel! 308 cal, short stroke gas piston all coated moving parts and receiver! what more could one want? Oh don't forget a 25round magazine!
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  5. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Oh, believe me, it's exciting as heck. :D I am one of those people that will always fork over the money for a fine firearm.....
  6. Idempotent

Idempotent New Member

Hrm, my idea of a perfect rifle would be a bolt-action. An auto-loader just isn't as much ... fun?
  7. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Oh don't get me wrong I love bolt guns as well. but they have there place. Put a bipod on this with an acog or a normal scope and reach out 1000 yards! bolt guns have the advantage of being more accurate to a point. with a Sub MOA semi auto 308 vs a standard bolt 308 you can put 2 rounds on target or 2 individual targets in the time it takes you to get 1 of with the bolt.

The thing about auto loaders is they also get expensive to shoot. Im the kind of person that would unload a few 25 round mags of 308 as fast as i can at a 55gal drum just because I can.

We each have our own definitions of fun.After taking in consideration the advancements in auto loaders in the past few years. Im now beginning to think that bolt guns should only have there place among the larger calibers for long range precision shooting (1000 + yds).
  8. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Nice rifle, but everyone has their own end-all. This is mine. A 1,000 yarder in .308 and a semi-auto also. Very few semi's can match a bolt action for a simple reason. No stress on the projectile ramping/slamming into battery and the bolt goes back into battery absolutely the same every time. If you have a finely mated bolt and barrel, and if the barrel is of a Blackstar quality, internally tapered, electro-polished bore you'd be in that rather elite category.
    Like you, I love a sub-moa rifle, but only if its going to go out to 1,000 and group every time without fail.

[​IMG]

And this is my rifle's builder at the Marine High Angle Range in Hawthorn Nevada making a one mile shot with another of his rifles, but this one in .408 and a bolt action.

[​IMG]
  9. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

I am getting the 16 inch Recon model, almost have the money saved up. I am putting a Burris XTR 1X4 w/fastfire scope on it.
  10. wpage

wpage Active Member

Cool long range...Any pics of the target afterward?
  11. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Wow that AR-10 is perfect (just needs forward assist)! what is that a 30 or 28 in barrel? who makes it and does it come in black? lol

Is that the 5-25x56 premier? my buddy has one on his 416 Barrett.

The POF would be my for fun rifle with a 6x48 acog with red dot site on top for 1200 yard plinking lol. I have also been looking in to precession AR-10s as well.
  12. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Nope. No forward assist necessary, not now or ever on any AR10.
    Do you remember why the forward assist was even started? Because of an error in judgement with Colt misunderstanding and Congress' interference with Eugene Stoner's original design and cartridge requirement for the M16. Another case of political know-nothing morons interfering in free enterprise.

Yup. The scope is a Premier Heritage. Crystal clear at 1,000 yards.

She has a custom, internally re-machined Armalite AR10 receiver/magazine well cut to accept a slightly longer AR10 magazine, and this is because of the required bullet profile and seat depth being longer than usual for an AR10. The case requirement is Lake City LR, not just Lake City. The case requirement is important to this particular rifle.
    All internal receiver parts are coated with a moly derivative. The chamber and throat are cut to accept one projectile profile only. The Sierra 175 MK, and no other. Because of these cuts the TTL, seat depth and OAL are specific and absolutely critical, thus the need and reason for a custom machined Mag-well. No other projectile profile will work in her.
    A Naval Walther Contract 17-4 S/S barrel, an internally tapered .006 electro-polished bore and a 1-10 ROT.
    SWS Foregrip. The Buttstock is a Magpul. The trigger is from his early protoype collection and this trigger later became the Chip McCormick trigger now available.
    The bolt is a custom machined, super hardened and mated to the barrel.

This rifle is a lot of work to reload for and it only accepts and works with the profiles and load data from the builder. He's a contact rifle builder for the armed forces and security companys in Iraq-istan type areas.

He's also the the head training instructor for EDM with large caliber, very long range rifles. We were more than fortunate to get one from him. It was actually an almost to the day 10 year wait to get it.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  13. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Sorry, wpage. Forgot to answer. He shot 4 rounds with two in the bull. The other two made the spread 9" x 27". This was the first shots out of that brand new build. The objects laying beside him include a mini-computer. The data is fed into the scope, IE: Temp, wind, range, elevation MOA required, projected wind-drift, spin-drift etc. Too expensive for my blood, but I'd sure love to have that computer-scope setup.
  14. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

My buddy with the 416 just boght a 408 from EDM not that long ago. I would sure love to take the long range classes. Any way you could hook a brotha up lol?