End of Season

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/30/02 4:01:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All End of Season
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, Folks -

Just finished up all the hunting 'til next fall. One deer out of three hunts. Guess that's a fair batting average for a baseball player, but not what I'd consider successful for a hunter. All in all, though - had a great time on all of them and darn'd near killed myself on the last one. Fell into a cold mountain stream and really aggrevated the head cold I already had. Banged up a leg landing on a hard rock in the process. Leg feels like I got kicked by a hardheaded mule. Had to cut the last trip short to get back home to recuperate, but, what the Heck - still had fun tromping around, anyway!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 9:12:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: End of Season
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ken, how's that leg now? You back at the range now on a regular basis.?? Jack

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/11/03 10:27:32 pm)
    Hey, Jack -

Good to see ya posting over here. Have just about given up on the FE board, due to lack of participation. Why don't you hang around here more often? Lively comments and good people here.

The leg is healing - sore to the touch, but the limp is gone. Cold is mostly confined to coughing and hacking at times.

Saw where you have some more snow and cold forecast for that part of the country. We've sorta evened out at our normal winter temps of lows in the high 40's and highs in the upper 60's. Hoping for more rain here in the Valley and snow in the high country water sheds.

Already deciding on what firearms are the candidates for next year's hunts. This is the fun part! Those used this year and last have seen their service for a while, now it's the turn of the 6.5x257 Rob'ts Ack Imp, the 6.5mm Swede and the trusty ol' 30-06 (I think!).

"Keep Off The Ridgeline"

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/12/03 8:00:57 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: End of Season
    Decisions, - decisions, - decissions. Life is just so full of decisions I can't stand it. My decisions are nearly as complicated as yours when it comes to hunting Ken. I have chose from my .44mag (Marlin 1894), 30-06, .308, .243, or .270. The hardest problem of the decision process is choosing which of my 30-06's to use. I take all of them with me; my Garand, Remington sporterized 1903, sporterized/scoped 03A3, and unaltered 1903-A3. Weather conditions mostly dictate which one I'll use on any given day.

Glad to hear that you are doing a bit better these days. Hope your cold clears up real soon.

Regards

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/12/03 8:38:34 pm)
    Ya' got that right, Ruff -

Nothing like pleasant decisions to make! Gives me the excuse to burn some powder out of all of 'um!

Forgot to mention, Jack - Gave up the Rangemaster job due to disgust with public members, slobs that they are, that never seemed able to clean up after themselves, plus my terminally ill brother and alzheimers ill mother require daily visitations and assistance, anymore. The President and the Executive Officer of the club have called asking I return, however, it may be a while. Nothing anyone can do - just a cruel fact of life everyone has to bear at some time or other.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/29/03 10:28:03 pm)
    Ken, my apologies for not getting on sooner. Lots of little things here that take time away from reloading and shooting.
    The trapping season is essentially over and I did not set most of the line. My nephew is bldg a log cabin up on a really high point above me and his dog runs with the pickup. I didn't want to catch the pup. Probably wouldn't have hurt him any, just bad policy.
    I think the 3 rifles you mention a as good as it gets. I'm really fond of the 6.5mm in any case and I have and use several 25's. Back in 1958 I started hunting deer with the .25 Gibbs, best of the 25-06 wildcats. Must have shot over a hundred mule deer before I switched to the 7mm Rem Mag. Ihad a fixed 8mm scope on it, med heavy bbl and boy, out to 300 yds it really dropped them.
    I had guessed you were not at the range anymore. Lots of little things goingon here. I always check in at TFE and would like to see more activity over there but things are pretty slow. Have a good one. Jack

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/30/03 4:52:32 pm)
    Hello, Jackson - ! Good to hear from you, again.

Yeah, things are getting pretty dead on Matt's board, anymore. Better huddle up here where the action is!

My good rancher friend down south let his brother set some traps out a few years back for coyotes - next thing he knew, his wife's favorite ranch dog didn't show up one day. Never saw him again. Figured his bro caught him and the 'yotes must have found him before the trap was checked, but since his brother never said and he didn't ask, they'll never know.

Had to give up the range work - my older brother and my mother both require daily visitations and assistance, now. No way I could do any outside work. They have called several times to check and see if I was available.

The 6.5-06 is gonna be sacked up for a while and the 6.5x.257 AI and 30-06 will be prime candidates for this coming Fall (provided I get drawn!) Just like the feel of the ol' pre-war Mod 70!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/31/03 12:12:24 pm)
    warm and wet here. But we face a dry summer. So I am getting involved with removing the fuel load up wind of the house. A state forester came up yesterday and we walked around. He recommends that I clean out a 10 acre area around my home as a fire prevention technique. I agree with him and I'll start soon. We get clouds, rain, fog, mist, drizzle and so on but little heavy rain. And the ground is frozen so it all runs off into the river instead of soaking into the groundwhere I need it. Well, gotta get busy. Nice visiting.