Enfield 1870 - What kind of value?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dnofs33, Dec 17, 2011.

1. dnofs33

dnofs33 New Member

My grandfather passed away this past year and he left me a few of his guns that he collected. All the other weapons left were modern but this one. I haven't the slightest clue as to what it is or what kind of value it has. I can tell it's not in top notch condition, but am curious what I might have. Please see the photos below.

A few things to note: 1) No, I did not take a wire brush to the barrel - it was in that condition when I got it. 2) The barrel does not have rifling in it. 3) The gun is approximately 37.25 inches from stock to end of barrel 4) I'm only allowed 4 photos but it looks as if on the top of the breach area there is a III stamped into the barrel - I'm not sure if this means it is a Mark III.

Let me know if you need any further info to be of assistance.

Attached Files:

2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

First off welcome ! now to me that be a SNIDER-ENFIELD MKIII CAVALRY CARBINE CAL. .577 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snider-Enfield

heres a dealers offer ( these folks are not that expencive really as a dealer ;) )

and yours is way better looking .. and looks way more original .. dunno the value there

cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

deleted
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  4. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Pretty darn cool! I'd be tickled if grandad left me somethin' like that. He's been gone since '46, so I tired of waitin' for my inheritance.:)
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I bought mine of a family who migrated here and had one , they did not believe all the paper work then for licence and gun safe and all the rest , so offered it up for sale

i've shot it and do so annually or so ,,, been a while now though .. but it aint as nice as the one dnofs33 has now ... bores good , but the exterior and markings , surface rust on and off diring its life did it , never too bad , but accumulated damage ..

i offered $700 here when that was = to $620 USD or so .. i remember the gent worked it out

he asked for $650 US and i said ok , got it bonded, got a agent and "imported it" from the bonded store at botany bay Sydney

i'd bargained a bit based on the import costs even from a couple miles and angents fee's and tax's

i thought it worth $750 US then as a occasional shooter /collection piece
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Just FWIW, the Snider breech was invented by an American, Jacob Snider, but was used mostly by the British, though it was copied in some places in the Empire. Like the U.S. "trapdoor" it was originally used to convert muzzle loading rifle muskets to breech loaders, then later used on new rifles.

That carbine is not a conversion of a muzzle loader; it was made at Enfield in 1870 as a cartridge gun. It would have originally had shallow five-groove rifling*, but it is possible that the rifling was reamed out and the gun converted to a shotgun at some point.

*Jack, check me on this - I think those had five groove rifling, but don't have one to be sure.

Jim

Jim
  7. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Looks like mine. I get ammo from GAD custom cartridges.

Attached Files:

8. Dreamer

Dreamer New Member

Saw one on Sat. at a smith/dealer in Ozark, Mo. He says the client wants 850. It's real pretty. Not sure if that price is in line w/ the "market". Just a witness, not an expert.
    Gary
  9. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Paid $140 or $160 for mine. Got a sweet deal on it.