Enfield 2a 308 Nato

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by piglatinhater, Aug 27, 2008.

1. piglatinhater

piglatinhater Member

I just bought a Enfield 2a from AIM this week and I have some questions regarding ammo. I've heard mixed stories for and against using 308 win. Is anyone currently using 308 win ammo in their Enfield or just 308 nato?
    So I tried using the search function, but there really is no information.
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Hi
    I have used the Enfield in the past with 7.62 NATO military, (S. African mainly) Radway Green (UK) and commercial .308 (IMI), and never had a problem. Accuracy can vary, but it will from make to make anyway.

If your in any doubt check with a gunsmith.:)
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  3. pawn

pawn New Member

PLH, please see below:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/308vs762nato/index.asp
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Read that article completely, pig, it will change your mind about shooting .308 through it... 48000 psi or whatever vs 62000 psi is a helluva difference:eek:

I shoot strictly NATO through my Ishy 2A....granted, the chamber area seems massive enough and has 1960s metallurgy not 1940s, so SHOULD be able to handle the pressure of occasional .308 rounds, but I am more worried about that screw on bolt head....that has always been the weak point on any Enfield action....

The GOOD thing is that there is still some good NATO stuff out there, although i could KICK myself for not scarfing up more of that South African stuff when AIM had it for $28 for a 200 rd battlepack a year or so ago; it's good stuff, and still around, but now is like $80/200:cool:

There is also some 70s and 80s vintage British L1A1 NATO ammo around that's pretty good too, if you look, I picked up about 15 boxes at a show last year pretty cheap too...
  5. piglatinhater

piglatinhater Member

I see Australian 308 nato, has anyone ever used this in their 2a?
  6. Freightman

Freightman New Member

7. piglatinhater

piglatinhater Member

8. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

That article makes sense, but to each his own.

I still maintain at the time it was built, there is no question that the NATO round was loaded to a much lower pressure than whazt the .308 was made even at the time, much less now. SHould it handle higher pressures? Yeah, BUT.....

Now the Ishy IS probably a lot stronger than any of the 1916 Spanish conversions, or the Cetme, that should NOT use .308s, and won't be hurt by OCCASIONAL firing, but I'm going to stay with milsurp NATO for mine.
  9. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I only shoot 7.62 NATO ammo through my Enfield 2a, mostly Lake City Match ammo.