Enfield 3-Band

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by williepete, Aug 26, 2009.

1. williepete

williepete New Member

[​IMG]

Hi Guys,

First day as a member on this site.
    I shoot a replica Enfield 3-band .577. I bought a lot of mine balls that are terribly irregular. None of them fly straight or consistent.
    I've looked all over for some well made .577 loads.
    Any recommendations?

Many thanks,

Bill
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Welcome to the site. I am surprised you cant find good bullets for your Enfield. I cant help you in the US, but feel sure there must be many available.

Enfields must be popular with the civil war re enactment clubs, maybe try one of those. The Enfield is a very accurate rifle by nature, so you should be able to get respectable results.

Good luck.
  3. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Try Dixie gun works at:
    http:www.dixiegunworks.com
    They should have them and IF you live near Friendship In, the second weekend of Sept the Fall NMLRA National Shoot begins. they will be for sale there by the ton!
  4. williepete

williepete New Member

Thanks Guys,

Of the 500 rounds in the case I purchased, not one of the mine balls is the same shape at the base. One guy at the range said the skirt is not expanding properly to take the rifled grooves. I wonder if the lead used is too hard as well? We found one hole in the target that indicated the bullet went through the plywood perfectly on its side--that one was obviously tumbling down range.

I'll call them.

Since I'm stuck with so many bad rounds, do you think it would be worth my while to find a bullet mold and melt the bad rounds into better rounds? Anyone hear of molds for .577?
  5. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

First of all, "Welcome!"

Sounds like very poor quality control with the pour temperature of the lead too cool, and air-voids in the rounds, to boot!

You might want to size your bore to insure that you find the correct round before you seek your next rounds. You'll want your rounds to have been cast of very, very soft lead. You didn't mention your powder load and type you were using, which can effect your accuracy, as well. The Enfied was the 'assualt weapon' of it's day, and can be a very accurate musket with the correct round & powder charge. What brand of 're-pop' musket did you purchase?

Really, the best method to fire the correct round for your musket is to cast your own, but doing so is a bit of a hassle, and might be more trouble for you than you want to undertake. However, RCBS and LEE (among others) offer molds for the Enfield.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  6. williepete

williepete New Member

Thanks for being so generous with your experience.

The .577 rounds fit well in the muzzle. Most drop all the way down on their own. Are those too small? Others, I only have to push down gently. I use Bore Butter to help them down.

I'm using 60 grains of Clear Shot black powder substitute. I have a 60 grain powder measure on my powder flask and I try hard to make sure the loads as as equal as possible.

Yeah. I keep hearing that.:mad:

Armi Sport.

Thanks. Checking that option out. I have a little white gas backpacking stove that pumps out a lot of heat. Will that be enough to melt down the lead? I take it from your comment that perhaps I shouldn't recycle the rounds I have--that their lead is too hard. Is there a way to check that out before I buy lead?

Thanks again Guys. I really appreciate your help. Next time you guys pass though DFW, beers on me.
  7. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I'll be there in late October! LOL!

Please check p/mail.
    mrk
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  8. badpenny

badpenny New Member

there is a guy on e-bay selling cast minnies,his price per 100 is pretty reasonable.dixie has swaged minnies,i shoot them from my 3 band with excellent results.