The Firearms Forum banner

Enfield No1 bolt head question, maybe trade it

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  theskyisoutthere 
#1 ·
Background:
I have an enfiled no1 mk3 that my grandfather left me years ago. It was badly sportorized so i decided to put it off for years about even looking at it. I finaly got around to looking it over.

The head space was looser than i liked used a militarty gauge and it passed but just seemed a bit loose. some primmer push back but not dangerous. so i bought a few bolt heads in a bag from someone online. found one that was perfect, but no extractor spring so i reused my old one. and it was good. fired right.

Now the issue:

I have a wierd other bolt head. it mesures the same as my other one that works. Its really close but has different stamping on it. shows crossed flags on it.

This one also does not have a cutout on the threaded portion like my others. Although the threads are very very close for some reason it goes till it gets about 85 percent in and starts to get stuck.

Any ideas on what this means and what it is.

I will try to attach pictures. If i can;t use it i am willing to trade it for other parts

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
So far no one can tell me the differnece why this one does not have the groove but it has the same thread pitch, but does not fit when it gets to the end also it is the same exact length as the others just missing the cut out.

Also i am attaching another picture this one was of the odd looking extrator that was in the bolt head in question. it is loose and is not ment for that head oviously also was rigged in with a spring from somewhere else not the same type just and odd one.

Attachments

#4 ·
matching it is really not my issue i wanted to know why this one looks the same as the others i have but its not the same, it also does not have the cut out on the threaded portion like my others. If i look in the bolt body there is no reason i need a cut out on the threaded part so i am confused about the difference.

Also that odd extractor that was in there is nothing like the normal extractors i have. i was hoping to find the difference so i can trade the part off to who needed it since it won't work for me.

#5 ·
I am confused, but the bolt head with the British military proof (crossed pennants) should be correct.

The slot in the threaded portion of the bolt head was an early feature (Mk I through III); along with a lug on the striker (firing pin) collar, it allowed the firing pin to be unscrewed using the bolt head for leverage. But the bolt head often didn't have enough leverage and the system was discontinued in favor of a striker collar cut into two lugs, and using a matching tool to remove the striker. It serves no purpose in a rifle with the later striker, but does no harm.

I have no idea what that piece of steel stock is; it looks like someone set out to make an extractor and never completed the job.

Jim

#6 ·
the extractor in question seems to be cut for a smaller shell, but i really don;t care about the extractot, I thought it was part of the puzzel.

Now is there a reason why this bolt head won;t thread properly in my bolt body. it goes in almost all the way in. I have a no. 1 mk III smle I have two other bolt heads that fit my bolt body but they both have the notch on the threadded part. Thought that had something to do with it.

was there a different bolt on the no.1s that affect the head screwing in or its opperation.

#7 ·
They should be interchangeable as far as the threads go. But those rifles were made in several countries (India, Pakistan, Australia, as well as with foot pedal lathes on the Afghan frontier) so it is possible some part might not interchange.

You showed three pictures, from different angles. Are they three pictures of the same bolt head, or three bolt heads?

One thing you can do is take the one that works and put its threads into the threads of the one that doesn't. That should show if the threads are at least intended to be the same. Then try to find another bolt and see if the odd head will fit in it.

I really don't know why the heads would not be the same if they are all for the No.1 rifle, but I can't even guess without more/better information than I have gotten so far.

Jim

#8 ·
all the pictures are the same head. its so close to the same thread it goes in it just gets tight at the end. Too tight to use ut might just need the threads buffed out to make thm smoother so it fits nicer. I know its the same thread pitch and size, its just too tight as it stands. might just be the threads are too tall for my old bolt body. I would be willing to trade or sell it to anyone that wants to try one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.