Enfield stock color???

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/18/02 7:14:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    Enfield stock color???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay the No. 4 Mark I is totally apart and is mostly uncosmolined and such.

What shade of brown is it supposed to be? The forearms and such when I started sanding them got darker.

The butt stock got lighter...so were they normally a dark color or a light color? Does it matter? I'm trying to restore it to what could reasonably be expected of a Enfield when it was fairly new (not going to reblue anything or such just get the stock to look nice along with as nice a job as I can do on the rest.

Anybody got any ideas out there? Suggestions?

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/18/02 7:18:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Enfield stock color???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your stock is oil-soaked (typical). To get to the base color (normally a medium-dark walnut), you will need to leach the oil from the wood.

If you have or can get whiting, mix with mineral spirits or denatured alcohol to the consistency of pancake batter. Spread a thin layer over a portion of the stock. As it dries, the whiting will wick the oil from the wood. Once dry, brush off with a stiff brush but take care not to get it on fabric. This may take several applications.

Whiting can be found at really good hardware stores, or you can get it from Brownell's.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/18/02 7:34:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Thanks, I'll start looking for it - got a few decent hardware stores close by.

Right now I've got it outside - tomorrow is supposed to be hot again and it's amazing how much stuff comes out of the stock with heat.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/18/02 8:16:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Enfield stock color???
    Watch them lungs.....Honey! (I remember, hehehe)

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/18/02 8:19:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    lol - you do indeed remember LTS! I'll watch the lungs - that's why it's an outdoor project.

mauserman454
    (6/18/02 8:37:26 pm)
    I have a Isahpore No1 mk3, Stock was almost black after a thorough degreasing. I decided to sand it down, and after I almost sanded my arm off, it is a beautiful medium to dark brown, not sure if it is totally correct, but it sure is pretty.
    Good luck with your project!!!

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/18/02 9:03:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    mausermania - thank you.

The No. 1 Mark III will be after this one and the VZ24 Brno I think.

Then again maybe next year for it.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/18/02 9:10:35 pm)
    I have seen different shades of walnut on the same Enfield before - like you are describing, the forearm and top wood a darker walnut, and the buttstock a lighter walnut. I have also seen them with replacement buttstocks that are not walnut - some sort of beechwood or something. On those, after sanding down, I used a coat of Special Walnut stain on the lighter wood before doing the boiled linseed oil finish - came out looking the same color overall.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/19/02 8:55:45 am)
    As Bob says, mismatched wood on military firearms is fairly common......beauty was not a priority in their manufacture.

Different parts of the furniture frequently came from different subcontractors, so matching grain, color, and finish is very "iffy".

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/19/02 10:57:25 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Bob and XRacer - as I said the one forearm was light till I started sanding it - became dark like the other one. Everything but the buttstock seems to be from the same wood. And even the buttstock has a lot of the same grains in it so I'm hopeful that when everything is said and done it'll pretty much match the rest of the rifle stock.

Sure is pretty (the dark parts). I put some boiled linseed oil on them just to see what would happen - made them match beautifully. Hopefully I can get the buttstock stained close to that dark a color.

Thanks for all the advice and so forth - this is fun.

Got nothing better to do while being home sick.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/19/02 11:10:53 am)
    Sometimes walnut has layers of color - I have seen that before when you are sanding and get into a darker layer. I have seen it in gun stocks and in some antique furniture I have restored.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!