1. kennethhowell20

kennethhowell20 New Member

I have an enfield of some sort. It has a full manlicker stock, has irc 1559 R.F.I sights, 10 rd detachable box mag. chambered in .308 cal...has had the bayonet lug removed. It also has stamps on the bolt and reciever ...the bolt has what appears to be crossed signal flags and the reciever appears to be a monkey with the signal flags crossed beneath it with a P between the legs of the flags.Curious as to what this rifle is, its value and history if anyone could help. aslo found a stamp that says Rifle, 7.62mm2A1 R.F.I 1965?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sounds like a ishapore Indian manufactured or re manufactured but sounds sporterised

hard to say value or worth without details pic's of the entire thing some sporters are done so they increase value . most do not ...
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

R.F.I. stands for Rifle Factory, Ishapore (India). That rifle is basically the old British Rifle No. 1 Mk III, aka the SMLE, upgraded with more modern material to handle the 7.62 NATO cartridge, and designated the Rifle 2A; a version with a different sight was the 2A1. They were made for issue to police and paramilitary forces so as to have a common caliber with the Indian Army, which was using an Ishapore-made version of the FAL.

I think a close examination will show the "monkey" to be three elephants, an Indian national symbol.

Jim
  4. kennethhowell20

kennethhowell20 New Member

Thanks , I did more research on the markings and the rifle is indeed an isopore. Started making them in like 63....mine happens to be a 65 so nothing special as i may have been lead to believe. Oh well either way will do complete restore on the weapon and put it back up for safe keeping
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  5. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

I have come across an Enfield 2A1 as well, it has a very faint STA stamped into the stock. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking it might be from the armory or armorer.

Thanks
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

jb is it a STA or S arrow A

Attached Files:

7. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

Quite possibly with the arrow. That's awesome. Thanks for the help.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

common mistake due to the habit of stamping the arrow with 4 hits of a flat chisel or something , thats real common to have them look anything other than a arrow