Enfield

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

gamehunter3
    (9/2/02 2:13:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Enfield
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well yesterday we went to a civil war auction and there were alot of really nice pieces there and along with buying a few things there was this 1948 Australian Lithgow #1 MK lll Enfield rifle 303 caliber. I know nothing about Enfields. It was with the estate sale and is in beautiful condition. wood looks new, blueing is about 90%, bore and rifling is nice. It has different markings stamped into the stock. I don't know what it means.It has a R and below that a MA and below that a 5/46. It also has a polished brass but plate with a flip up door in it.It also has a canvas sling in new condition too.This was one of those things that I couldn't let it go to someone for $75.00, so I bid a $100.00 and got it.I am not sure but I think this could have something to do with my addiction to cosmoline. Did I pay too much?

Thanks Jerry in Florida

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/2/02 2:37:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Enfield
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Probably not (pay too much that is).

If it's in the shape it is it should be worth that much at a minimum. The butt plate in brass with the flip up trap door is normal in Enfields. But other than that I can't tell you the value or anything else - I shoot them, so I don't usually try for anything that nice looking.

gamehunter3
    (9/2/02 3:56:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Enfield
    How are these things for shooting. Like I said I know nothing about Enfields, but the condition is what got me too. This estate sale had a half a million in guns and the went anywhere from a $100. to $28000. It was an exciting day. I got away light , only spent $1500.
    The web site is www.privatecollections.net

Thanks Jerry in Florida

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/2/02 4:41:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Wow - you did spend money. I cry at spending $100 on a gun normally.

As for shooting - love my Enfields. They are quite accurate but they have a kick. Those old military rifles were built to fight wars not necessarily for the comfort we might expect from a hunting rifle.

Do a head spacing on it and go out and shoot it at least once. The British were feared because of their ability to shoot those rifles in the war.

gamehunter3
    (9/2/02 5:08:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del enfield
    I heard they did kick pretty good, but as long as long as they don't kick worse than a m44 I will be fine. I wished I would have takened more $$$ to the auction . There were $7000.civil war guns being auctioned for $1000. to $1700.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/2/02 5:54:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: enfield
    Oh my I can see why you would of liked to have taken more money then.

No they don't kick worse than a M44 - at least I don't think they do.

ClydeBurrie
    (9/2/02 6:01:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Enfield
    WOW what a collection!!!

gpostal
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/14/02 10:53:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Enfield
    i have a springfield 1863 ,marked u.s. property i would part with for the right price , its a little ruff but all there

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/14/02 11:21:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Damn gpostal - that's cruel to say that.

gamehunter3
    (9/26/02 6:21:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Enfield
    Hey gpostal, How about sending me an e-mail because I would like to hear more on your 1863.

Jerry in Florida

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/26/02 8:56:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    gpostal - and if'n he don't want it I'd be interested!