ENGRAVED COLT PYTHON * VALUE *

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BIGDADDYUSMC, Feb 25, 2008.

1. BIGDADDYUSMC

BIGDADDYUSMC New Member

I have an Engraved Colt Python that my father purchased years ago. He has passed & I have to liquidate the estate. So I need to get a value for this gun for the estate & possible sale of this firearm.

Description of gun:

Colt Python , Royal blue finish , class B engraving ( that I believe is colt factory engraving) 6" barrel , Serial number 516** E , ( I believe that is a 1966 manufacture date) with the letters FF under the serial number, The gun has dark wood grips with gold Colt medallion on grips.

I carefully removed the grips & under the grips, the frame is stamped with the letter "A" & "COLT ENG"

Gun has never been fired , it has **VERY** slight turn marks on the cylinder. From I think is people handling the gun over the years???

This gun is in a fitted display case with purple velvet lining , in one corner of the case is a fitted wood block with 26 DUMMY stainless rounds /shells , They all have a unfired primer in the shells , but there is no bullet or powder in the shells. I think this is a custom case & is not a colt factory case , but I'm not sure.

When my father purchased the gun there was no factory paper work with the gun.

What is the aprox value of this gun ?, ( BOOK VALUE & possible retail value)

& Would it be a good idea to get a Colt Factory letter seeing that I do not have any original factory paper work?

Thank you for your time & I can be reached at cchenowth@cox.net

Randy
    BIGDADDYUSMC

Attached Files:

• 50.jpg
      50.jpg
      File size:
      79.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      73.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      52.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      52.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Very nice gun! LNIB early Pythons are going for $2000 without any engraving. Your gun is likely worth several thousand dollars to a serious Colt collector.

You should go over to www.coltforum.com and post your pictures. The experts over there can answer all your questions.
  3. BIGDADDYUSMC

BIGDADDYUSMC New Member

Thanks for the link to coltforum.com , I emailed them & posted the same request on that site.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Given the potential value of this lovely firearm, I'd say that a Colt letter to determine if that's Colt Factory Engraving (as it appears to be), would be a very good investment. http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/historical.asp

Your Python was made in 1977 not 1966.

The current Blue Book value is:

Python Blue or Royal Blue Finish (Mfg. circa 1970-1996):

100% - $1,050
    98% - $950
    95% - $775

Add 10% for NIB (New-In-Box) condition.

The Standard Catalog Firearms gives a value of:

NIB - $1,050
    Exc. - $800

The Standard Catalog of Colt Firearms value:

NIB - $1,400
    Exc. - $1,100

The fitted presentation case would be bring extra....but I don't know how much.

Also, if FACTORY ENGRAVED it would increase the value significantly, but again, I don't know how much.
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I don't remember what Colt charges for an "A" engraving job, but it is their lowest grade and probably costs under $1000 extra.
  6. williamd

williamd New Member

Nice used Pyhtons are going for over a grand in 4" and 6" ... with the others going nuts!
  7. BIGDADDYUSMC

BIGDADDYUSMC New Member

BIGDADDYUSMC here
    Thanks guys for your replys to my posting on my engraved python ,

Xracer: I see I read the serial number chart wrong , It is a 1977. I didn't notice the numbers started over with the E at the end. The prices you quoted, those are for stock guns ???? , the engraving has got to add at least another $1000???

wonderwhippet: This is a Class B engraved gun , what does that do for the price???

& DOES ANY ONE KNOW what the FF under the serial number means ???
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  8. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Yes, those prices are for standard (unengraved) Pythons with the Python Blue or Royal Blue Finish (Mfg. circa 1970-1996).

BTW.....If you're sure that this is a Class "B" Engraved gun (B=50% coverage), here are the Blue Book prices for current & discontinued Colt Custom Shop Factory engraving.

Large Frame Size:

"B" Standard - $1,518
    "B" Expert (signed) - $2,057
    "B" Master (signed) - $3,812
  9. williamd

williamd New Member

Found two listed as 'fully' engraved. The blue looks like yours, BDM, and the stainless one appears to have a bit more engraving. $3000 each .... but with 3' not engraved going for $5k to $7k, and most any decent 4" ot 6" breaking $1K, I would sure count on significantly more than $3k. BUT, if you want $3k I am your guy!!! :)
  10. BADSBSNF81

BADSBSNF81 New Member

The grades Standard, Expert and Master level engraving began use in 1997.

Standard engraving (American style; basic) is not signed by the engraver or recorded. But, the marking ENG is on the piece.
    Expert engraving (master quality scroll) is signed and recorded.
    Master engraving (very detailed scroll and precious metal inlays) is signed by the engraver and recorded at the factory.

Class B engraving,, 1/2 metal coverage (pre-91) was listed at @ $1199 with an additional 7% tacked on for a 6 inch bbl. There is a chance that the engraver might listed on the letter, but, don't hold your breath. A famous, or well known engraver can add significantly to whay you could get.
  11. Tigertom

Tigertom New Member

Hi, I was curious if you ever established a value you are comfortable with, and whether your Python is still available for sale. Thanks.