engraved colt python

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 2bbows, Oct 31, 2009.

1. 2bbows

2bbows New Member

I recently puchased an engraved colt python, the pistol is blued and the engraving is silver looking not blued like most of the ones that I have seen on this site and cruising through the Net. It seems like maybe 80% of the pistol is engraved. The sn # is 10XXX, looking that up it sould be a 1960 model. I looked under the hand grips and it is stamped with the intials INS. It has a 6" barrel. Just kind of wondering what it may be worth. Thanks for any help.

mike

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

sounds like the engraving was done after it was blued to give it a bitone affect. a picture would help in value, we are also visually motivated
  3. 2bbows

2bbows New Member

I am working on some pics, as soon as I can find where they are in my puter I will get them attached.

OK I found them lol
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Too bad about the blurry photos. Take them over again with the camers on the "Macro" setting.
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

No need for more pictures. It's a crude "engraving" job done on a plain blued gun.
    Edit:
    No, it is hand engraving- just not real good hand engraving. "Wriggle work" (the "z" shaped lines) is one of the quickest and easiest hand engraving methods.
    There is no evidence of vibratory engraving.
  6. johnlives4christ

i dont know, the pics arent good enough to tell if it's a good engraving job or a "crude" one as you say bill. i want to see some better pictures of it. if the engraving is done well, the value of the gun will be pretty fair if it was reblued.
  7. 2bbows

2bbows New Member

Ok I changed the pics thanks for the advise. I can try again if this is not good enough, now that I have figured it out. Here is another I think this is the best I can do.

thanks

Attached Files:

8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

This "engraving" appears to have been applied with a vibrating tool. It is rather crude and doesn't seem to have enhanced the gun. It may very well have reduced the value, but the eventual price depends on the buyer and seller.
  9. johnlives4christ

value at most 300 dollars i think. if you could get a good engraver to do it he could engrave over the engraving that is already there and make it look good, i guess the first pictures wasn't loading clearly for me to see the half butt job
  10. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

It wasn't done with a vibrating engraver, it was done by hand. "Wriggle work" is one of the simplest forms of hand engraving.
  11. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Do you have any idea of who the engraver was? I agree that it's not the fanciest of jobs, but still being a Python and in fine shooting condition, I'd still be willing to pay 5 or maybe 6 bills for it. If it were in original condition it would be worth much more IMO. Would be interesting to find out who did the work.
  12. 2bbows

2bbows New Member

Well I would like to thank everyone for their opinion, I am very disappointed but that is the way it is, I will try to find out you did the ingraving.