engraving

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by REPEATER, Mar 3, 2012.

1. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

does it hurt the value of a collectible to have (impersonal) professional engraving done?
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

3. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

that sucks. ''character'' the tiniest little scratches are then. thanks
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  4. ignats

ignats Member

Collectors always want original from the factory. Therefore, it the gun left Colt with factory engraving, especially Nimschke work, then it would enhance the value. However, if someone else does it after the that, it's generally considered defacing it.
  5. muddober

muddober Active Member

Today things have changed just a bit in the non factory engraving areana. As an example in the Model 21 Winchester book there was a gun started by a factory engraver (I don't recall his name) who had a stroke and was unable to finish the gun. Angelo Bee finished the gun and has done several non factory guns since and his guns bring big bucks. That being for the most part one of the few exceptions to the rule don't mess with collector items.

Ron
  6. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Here is before and after. My work ca. 1982. The value and desirability is increased by the rework. The definition of what is 'collectible' could put this in a different category but I consider a S&W Triple Lock a collectible in almost any condition.

[​IMG]
  7. muddober

muddober Active Member

What a great example of after market work adding value to a collectable gun. Those grips alone are probably worth more than the gun was worth in its very used condition.

Ron
  8. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

very nice!!!! i have a couple S&W that could use an app like that. the gun I speak of is near flawless. merely micro abrasions in the finish that barely reveal metal... I was going for flawless, given the gun (that is now MINE)!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  9. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

My experience doesn't offer much of an answer about engraving a collectible. I think each item is its own specific case. In mine above, value was not factor. I had always wanted a nice Triple Lock S&W and the only way I could get one was DIY.

OTOH if a collectible worth $1000 is engraved at cost of $2000, you have $3000 in the gun. Its market value will likely be more than its original $1K but nowhere near the $3K you have in it. Having engraving done is pretty much an ego trip or a status thing that applies to the person who originally had it done - and usually fades away on the open market.
  10. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

I'd leave the flat-top Ruger alone, it's in high enough condition to not mess with it.
  11. ignats

ignats Member

That's pretty much it. You'll have a hard time recouping your investment. This is especially true of guns sent off to resto pros like Turnbull. I've seen them on auction and they hardly ever sell due to the reserve being so high. The problem being as you have stated. The S&W pictured above wouldn't have a great deal of collector value in it's former condition and therefore doing a resto job or as shown wouldn't hurt it's value. However, had that gun been a 90 % original finish, it would have been a mistake to alter or try to improve it in anyway. Advanced collectors will generally spot that. It comes down to what you want. I think the person who refinished that revolver made a good decision. I can't tell from the picture, but it appears the lettering on the barrel was lost when refinishing, is that correct?
  12. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

so then if not engrave, is there a way to restore the original finish without devaluing it at all or putting to much into it? or just straight ''leave it alone'' id really like it to be 100% flawless.. not just 98%.... maybe Im being too picky? :D
  13. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Not to say you are being picky but I have several guns in high condiion that I wouldn't think of trying to improve. I cherish them as lucky survivors.

At to markings on my Triple Lock project all the markings are still pretty strong.
  14. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

thats the problem!!! I dont have multiples to focus on... well, not enough.... yet... :D

thanks fir all the opinions. she'll stay the way she is i think. unless some new depelopment arises
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Most top engravers start with factory new guns, before the parts are hardened if possible. So they don't destroy collector value; in fact they make an ordinary gun into a collectible.

Unfortunately, most engraving seen recently seems to have been done for the purpose of increasing the value of a gun with a poor quality finish, sometimes a rusted relic. In many cases that means the markings are buffed off, the corners rounded and the whole gun is a mess as soon as one looks beyond the engraving.

Jim