Epoxy Bedding

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Frankb, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Frankb

Frankb Member

I want to epoxy bed a .270 with a wood stock. Has anyone had experience with Marine Tex by itself? Did you use metal in it? I know a lot of people use Devcon, but I am just doing one rifle. I can get Marine Tex in smaller quantities. I plan to pillar bed at the same time.
  2. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I'd recommend using Brownells Acraglas or Acraglas gel myself.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  3. Frankb

Frankb Member

I contacted Brownells and they said they did some tests on the various products. A lot of competition shooters use Devcon or Marine Tex. In the test those who were using Devcon and Marine Tex had to rebed their rifles after a year. The Acraglas users could go 2 years before rebedding. They recommended Steel Bed in the lug area or Acraglass with stainless steel in it for more strength.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  4. williamd

williamd New Member

Have used Acraglas for years and never had to rebed! Works great - as long as you put release agent in all the right places. :p Shot some in benchrest comp for literally 1000s of rounds! Bedded action and about 1 1/2 " of bbl and floated on forward.

Let us know what you do and how it works.
  5. Frankb

Frankb Member

I've got some Acraglas gel. I ordered pillars and stainless steel from Brownells. I talked to another tech from Brownells and he said he doesn't use metal even in magnums. Do you use metal in the epoxy William? What calibers do you shoot?
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  6. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I've never had to rebed with Acraglas either.
  7. williamd

williamd New Member

Nope, no metals. Just AcraGlas.
  8. Frankb

Frankb Member

Thanks for the good info.
  9. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Never had to re-bed using acraglas.
    On this subject, have any of you used PAM spray as a release agent? I hear it works great, but it's always second hand info when I hear it. I'd like to know from someone that has used it, and if there are any do's and don'ts.
  10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Acraglas Gel is the best I have used. Does not run like the regular stuff and if done right is long lasting.
  11. torpedoman

torpedoman New Member

never had to rebed using devcon just my experence but i dont sell accuglass maybe brownells does? also shoe polish makes a great release agent.
  12. LongRifles

LongRifles New Member

Try this, Dev Con HVAC epoxy. After you get all your prep work done, heat the two tubes up by placing a 100 watt light bulb over them until they are hot enough that it becomes uncomfortable to hold the tubes in your hand.

Mix the two parts on a glass plate for a solid two minutes. Do not stir. "fold" the material onto itself with a wide applicator.

The idea is to minimize trapped air.

You can dye it a little if you like. Brownells sells dyes compatible with resins.

I'd like to say I've had a lot of success with it and that it does a nice job.

Here are two examples using the exact method I described.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. tap_21

tap_21 New Member

I was just curious is there a video or something that could take you through step by step bedding procedures?