Erfurt 1918 Luger value??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by aquaman, Jul 19, 2010.

1. aquaman

aquaman New Member

I picked up four guns this weekend and this is one I know very little about. I will try to get up pictures later, but for now I will describe it as best as I can.

Marked Erfurt below "crown"
    90% + blueing
    grips excellent with no hoster wear
    bore excellent bright and shiny

very low serial number 450
    all numbers matching gun, including magazine
    holster is little rough with broken strap and someone lightly carved "Breneman" on back of holster
    has extra magazine numbered 5417 and marked "fxo" & "PO8"

I have read about "Lugers" and Erfurt specifically, but I would like an idea as to value. The gun is very low numbered as the earliest known serial number for the 1918 Erfurt is 304 and this is serial # 450. Even though the Erfurt's were "rough", this one is very original and has been very well taken care of.

Any ideas as to value would be appreciated. I do plan to sell the Luger, as well as, a CYQ Spreewerke P-38. I have no interest in these guns and need to help pay for the other two "keepers" I bought. The CYQ is 95% and a very nice firearm as well. The person I bought these from has been retired a long time and is selling off some his better "stuff".

Thanks for your help in advance.

Stan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. aquaman

aquaman New Member

Hopefully the pictures I posted will be helpful.

Attached Files:

3. aquaman

aquaman New Member

Hopefully the pictures I posted will be helpful in establishing a value.

Is there a way to post more than just 4 pictures?

I took about 15-20 and other show more detail, but I could not get more than 4 to upload to ths site.

Stan

Attached Files:

4. aquaman

aquaman New Member

I guess I can just keep adding pictures 4 at a time by posting a reply, but there has to be a better way??
  5. Danny

Danny Member

It looks like a very nice original Erfurt with not being reblued or anything. The matching mag is a certain plus as well as the holster.The other fxo mag is for a prewar Mauser Luger & should not be with this rig. The holster does need work & there is a Gent on Jan Still's Luger site that can repair the strap & replace the pull strap for you. His user name is Thor I believe & does fantastic work. I think from the low sn# and condition it should fetch a 2-2500 dollar price tag to the right collector.Hope this info helps some?
    Kindest Regards
    Danny:)
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I can't be sure from the picture, but it looks like there is a suffix letter below the number on the grip frame, in which case the gun would not be an early production for the year, something that, IMHO, matters not at all and adds nothing to either the interest or the value.

The name on the holster could be the name of the German soldier to whom it was issued, or the name of the American soldier who brought it back. It would take some heavy research to even try to find out. In any case it is a nice Luger, and I strongly recommend having the holster repaired (and suitably marked). As usual, I defer to Danny on the value.

"fxo" magazines were made by Haenel of Suhl, both during and after WWII; many were sold commercially in the U.S., and are a common replacement magazine. In my limited experience, they are better for looks than for reliability.

Jim
  7. aquaman

aquaman New Member

Thanks Danny,

I really appreciate your comments. I have no real interest in keeping the Luger and needed an approximate value so I can ask a fair price and expect it to sell. With this information, I am placing it on ********* with a starting price of $1,500.00 and I'll see if there is any interest at that price.

Should I also list it for sale at this site? I looked the "For sale or Trade" Forum over and it did not look like it gets a lot activity?

Is ther another site I might offer it for sale that is specific to "Lugers"??

Thanks again.

Stan
  8. aquaman

aquaman New Member

I found this site a short time ago when seeking information about a Belgium drilling and older friend of mine had. I have found the people here to be most helpful and informative.

Thank you again for the information on this Erfurt Luger.

I have two main interest in firearms, shooting them and then shooting them some more. Sorry I just couldn't help myself.

Actually my interests are in 1950-1980's Smith & Wesson and Colts revolvers, S&W model 27's and Colt Pythons specifically. I also have a keen interest in quality 22 rimfire handguns by both manufactuers, revolvers and automatics. I enjoy Colt Diamondbacks and "Match Target", as well, S&W 17's and Model 41's.

Maybe I can offer some assistance in the future to someone that may have questions about these specific firearms.

Stan
  9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Thor doesn't do leather repairs. Jerry Burney (lugerholsterrepair@yahoo.com) is the expert to go to. He will replace that leather strap and it will look absolutely original. The spare magazine is incorrect, as it is of WWII vintage. As Jim says, we need to know if there is a suffix letter below the serial number so we can figure out the date of manufacture. We also need the date stamped on top of the chamber. We also need to know if there are any manufacturer and date stamps on the holster. A rough guess as to the value of the rig would be $1500 to $2000.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  10. aquaman

aquaman New Member

Thanks for your comments Whippet. I though I included a date stamp picture, but I see I did not so here it is.

Inside the holster is pressed into the leather;

"SCHWARZENBERGER" in an arch
    & Co
    NURNBERG
    - 1918 -
    It also appears to have some numbers and/or letters "inked" on the inside of the holster, but they are very light and difficult to read. maybe?? "BX.XI"

Also on the back of the holster it looks as though it was lightly embosed with a crown??? and I can make out a single letter "R" maybe??? inside the crown.

I hope this helps.

Stan

Attached Files:

11. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

If there is no suffix letter attached to the serial number, your Luger was manufactured during the month of January, 1918. Since the Etfurts were produced all through the war, yous is by no means early production. On the contrary, it is quite late WWI production. The holster is very nicely marked and well worth repairing. I suggest you send it to Jerry Burney to have it done. My value estimate still stands.