Eric Johnson 30/06 Barrel

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by atoevan, Dec 2, 2009.

1. atoevan

atoevan New Member

As the title states, I have an Eric Johnson 30/06. Equipped with double triggers. Has "U.S. Springfield Armory, Model 1903, #1403748" engraved on the barrel.

I'm hoping to sell the gun but have no idea what it's worth. I'm happy to answer any questions. Thanks for any help. If interested in purchasing, please post your email address and I will contact you. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

I am not familiar with the Johnson barrel that is on this rifle, but the "original" 1903 in complete military original condition would be valued from 600 to 1000 depending on many variables. There were many surplus rifles sporterised -like yours- and it seems that the rifle now "looks" more like it was set up for target competition shooting. Value would be based on the cost of an "old" target rifle, not as an 1903 springfield. To me a value would be about 800.00 as the Johnson barrel adds no real exceptional value; to a competition shooter who is familiar with the maker......... who can guess?
    Good luck. Send a pm with a price if it is in this ballpark.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, what he said.

Someone has made what, in my opinion, is a target rifle, on a 1903 Springfield action. Bull barrel with a target front sight and double set triggers. Looks nice, but I, also, have never heard of Eric Johnson, so have no idea whether he was the maker or just made the barrel the maker used, and whether or not his name being on it adds or detracts from the value of the gun.
  4. BPMike

BPMike New Member

5. 404tbang

404tbang New Member

Howdy atoevan!
    Eric Johnson was a famous barrelmaker, gunsmith and target shooter. He was the Smallbore Prone National Champion at Camp Perry in 1929. He specialized in .22 long rifle barrels. I was unaware that he made centerfire target rifles. There are some similarities in the stock on your rifle and one that is on a rimfire target rifle Johnson built that I have.

Check your pm that I sent, please.

You can contact me at:

gkflannery@gmail.com

Thanks!
    Greg