The Firearms Forum banner

Erma EM1 .22 carbine

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  todd51 
#1 ·
Anyone have any comments about this weapon? Likes/dislikes? Thinking about getting one from a buddy and want to know how much is too much to pay for it. Thank you!

#6 · (Edited)
I have no personal experience with the Erma M1 22, but they are a really neat looking carbine. I dont know what they might be going for price wise. Depending on what you find price wise, I DO own a Ruger 10/22 which is very similar looking and functions similarly, and the 10/22 is available everywhere, they are reasonably priced both new and used, and there are all sorts of readily available accessories and adaptations for them as well. There may or may not be any "collector" market for the Erma; I rather doubt it; so in my mind, I probably wouldnt pay more for it than I would for a good used 10/22 by comparison. Just a suggestion for thought. Good luck. :)

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Had one - didn't really like it much. Like Grumpy66 said, the spare mags are pricey. If you can find them. I didn't like the bolt design much, and I think Erma could have made it look more like a real M1 Carbine with just a little work. I wouldn't buy another, but if I did I would not pay more than $150 for it.

I know this is an old post, I've been out of town a while - but my two pennies here is that you'd be better of just buying a very used M1 Carbinbe and loading ammo for it. You can do just about the same thing with a .30 carbine anyway. It's really just a pistol round. Might make 'bunny burgers' more than a .22, but they are fun little carbines.

#11 ·
I had the Iver Johnson version some years ago, and really loved that little rifle! Unfortunately, someone broke into my home and stole several rifles, that on among them.
I had paid $150 for it at the local gunshow. I had two issues with it.
1) Installing a scope requires tall rings, as the lower mounting causes ejected brass to bounce down into the action cauisng jams.
2) Had quirky performance til I put some washers onto the recoil spring unit to increase tension - easy fix. A new spring would be better.

The Sportsman's Guide sells an M1 Carbine styled stock set for the 10-22 - looks good, and I am considering going this route for a Faux-Carbine.
Also, Chiappa is coming out with an M1-22 Carbine - need to see some range reports before I plunk down money on one - their 1911 pistol has mixed reviews.

#12 · (Edited)
Some one gave this Iver Johnson version of the Erma to one of the Old Guys. It was missing the rear sight which turned out to be next to impossible to find and when you did locate one it was very pricey. He had a local smith put an inexpensive scope on it instead and he plinks with it occasionally. Seemed accurate enough with out trying any different ammo and just sticking in what was on the table at the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.