Essex Frame has ARRIVED!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by frosty, Jan 29, 2004.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

Picked it up yesterday.

I will post pictures soon.

The frame is very nice. There are no tooling marks at all that can be seen. All the pin holes line up perfectly (dry fit just to check).

I already polished the frame rails (it was very easy).
    I polished the slide rails (it did not need too much).
    Frame to Slide fit was excellent, very smooth movement.
    Installed the magazine release, ( it dropped right in). I tried a magazine and it went in perfectly and dropped when released perfectly.

I polised the top of the barrel hood (on the barrel itself). When I would pull the slide back the top of the barrel would touch just enough of the slide to keep it from being pulled further back. A little metal file did just the trick in removing enough material. I polished it up with 220 grit followed in sequence by 400, 800, 1,000 and 2,000 grit for the final polish. Now the slide pulls back just fine, no problems.

I also polished the leading edges of the barrel lugs (on top) a nice smooth tight lock up is there now.

The barrel link is a standard link. I did not want to mess with something I did not know about.

I assembled the Hammer and the Strut ( the first time ever I have done this) no problems.

I polished the sides of the sear and the disconnector with 2,000 grit for smoother play, they went in nice and neat.

I assembled the mainspring housing (took a little bit to push in the spring) it slide right into the frame no problems

After installing all of this I cocked the hammer with crisp clicks for each notch (full cock and half cock). I eased the hammer down by grasping it. No problems at all.

I will have to work on the grip safety due to the fact that the safety itself is not a drop in. I will remove some material for a fit and polish it up.

I removed some material from the top of the thumb safety because it was dragging just a little on the slide. It is polished and no problems.

O.k. guys what should I do now. I know I need to get a good barrel to frame fit for reliable feeding. What is the best (safest) way to do this.

Please give your advice. I need it.:)
  2. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member