Estimate of Value - 1937 S/42 Luger

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by seminole79, Jan 9, 2010.

1. seminole79

seminole79 New Member

Hello, I am new to the forum and am helping a dear friend with a possible Luger purchase. Since pictures are worth a thousand words, I am attaching several for comment.

Any opinions, especially as to value, are appreciated.

I apologize in advance for the less than perfect pix. Please note that the pistol appears to be all matching, with the exception of the magazine. The bore appears to be without pitting and in very good or even excellent condition.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. seminole79

seminole79 New Member

Is $2500 a reasonable price for this piece?
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Since it has some straw finished parts, it is an early 1937, which is a bit more valuable than a late 1937 without strawed parts. Given it's condition, it's worth a little less than half that, about $1150 or so, only if the bore is clean and all internal parts match, including the firing pin. Incidentally, the holster is incorrect, as it is made for a P38.
  4. seminole79

seminole79 New Member

Thank you very much for the response!

The holster does not go with the pistol. There is no holster with the pistol. I merely used it as a piece to prop the pistol.

Is it possible to clean or restore the pistol and still retain value?
  5. wonderwhippet

Proper restorations cost $500 and up and it is hard to find someone to do the job properly. It will reduce the value of the pistol, so do not consider it as a practical option. Just keep it well oiled and wiped down.
  6. seminole79

seminole79 New Member

Do you advise field stripping the pistol for detailed cleaning and oiling? Secondly, what is the best way to decock the weapon to relieve stress on the firing parts? Lastly, how much more would the weapon be worth with a matching magazine?
  7. 45Auto

45Auto Well-Known Member

Decocking is not possible w/o pulling the trigger. There are snap-caps available in 9mm which take the blow from the firing pin.

Field stripping and proper cleaning are recommended. Often I have found old firearms which are rather grungy from past owners who only cleaned the bore and nothing else.
  8. wonderwhippet

Deleted
  9. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

To decock a Luger Pull up on the toggle and pull the trigger while letting toggle down slowly. I just did it to double check my memory
  10. Road America

Road America Member

I just tried that with my Luger, I can't get it to decock. It seems like once you pull the toggle all the way back to cock it, you have to pull the trigger and click it or leave it cocked.
  11. wonderwhippet

Try lowering the toggle very, very slowly, at the same time rapidly clicking the trigger.
  12. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Don't pull the toggle all the way to the rear. Pull it up just enough to "break" the straight line then pull trigger and lower toggle
  13. onefastskater

onefastskater New Member

So here is another one.

1937 Luger pistol my dad brought home from WWII. I count 10 parts from what I assume was the “36” factory. The serial number appears 3 times, one on the bottom of barrel, one you can see in the picture and the bottom of the clip. It’s never been fired, nor cleaned in 50 years. There is a S/42 stamp and three stamps that I guess represent quality/inspection steps in the manufacturing line. My dad told me he was upset that he didn’t get a holster.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  14. wonderwhippet

This one is a second variation 1937 Luger, and it appears to be in outstanding condition. The number 37 is the last two digits of the serial number, and this is what to look for to see if it is an all matching pistol. Even the firing pin should bear this number, and there is a good chance it is also on the inside of the grips. Since it has a matching magazine, this pistol is worth at least $2,000.
  15. onefastskater

onefastskater New Member

All the number match, including the firing pin. The gun has been in a strong box for 50+ years. I haven't looked under the grips. My Dad brought it home from WWII. Thank you for your help.