Ethan Allen Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Fatboy1961, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Fatboy1961

Fatboy1961 New Member

I inherited some old revolvers when my ole Pappy passed. The oldest is an Ethan Allen 22 cal 7 shot revolver. Manufactured in Worchester Mass the patent info on the barrel reads Allen pat Sept 7th & Nov 9th 1858 and Sept 24th 1861. SN is 117xx. Mechanically it seems operational with the exception of occaisonally failing to advance to the next round when cocking. Finish is mostly gone (maybe 15% blueing left) and it appears someone cleaned it steel wool or something in the past. Grips appear to be original and are undamaged. Research has only netted one similar that appeared to be in slightly better condition. Do I posess a rarity or just an oddity from the past? Does it have any collectable value?
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i can identify a side hammer revolver with the 1858 patent dates but none with the sept 24, 1861 date. is is a side hammer or center maounted hammer. most likely this is one of the last models manufactured by allen before he died in 1873 and the company was remaned forehand & wadsworth arms co. who were his son's in law.

i can't give any values with out knowing the model but all ethan allen products are collectable.
    bill
  3. Fatboy1961

Fatboy1961 New Member

Hi Bill,
    I've double checked with a magnifying glass and can confirm the 1861 pat date. I tried to photograph the stamping for you but it seems my camera won't catch it....too small. Here's a couple pictures to maybe help in definate ID. Should you know any avid collectors this one could find a new home. Also a US Revolver I have. Hate to sell them but times are tough. Let me know what you think. Jim

Attached Files:

4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

It's the "Eighth issue" Allen side-hammer .22, the last model made before the company became Forehand & Wadsworth. Flayderman's Guide lists value in Good condition as $175, but the abrasive cleaning will have lowered value of yours.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A good example of the fact that old does not mean valuable. There is simply not enough collector interest in those guns to bring up the prices. Nor is there a market. The prices given in the guides are retail prices, what a buyer might expect to pay, not what a seller might expect to get. Sale to a dealer would not bring even half the guide price. Sale in any other way for a single gun is iffy; a buyer might come along tomorrow or ten years from now.

Example: I have had a couple of collector guns on consignment at a local store for over two years. I am not concerned; I don't need the money and maybe some day they will sell. But trying to get an immediate sale is tough, and I feel for you.

Jim
  6. BMFLEX

BMFLEX New Member

i have the exact same model. unfortunately the trigger is broke