Ethics of gifting a gun.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thomasray, Jul 14, 2011.

1. thomasray

thomasray Member

Hello out there.

Here is a situation where you give a gun to a friend. Later in innocent conversation it comes out that he sold the gun. How you feel about it is to be slightly affronted but not enough to show it. Let it go as friendship should be without conditions. . Question is should the friend have consulted you before he sold the gun?

Say you gave a friend a gun and later the friendship did not have the substance to endure. You wish you had not gifted the guy in retrospect but write it off as a lesson in picking friendship.

Glad for the feedback.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I say it is what it is, you did GIVE the gun to him, so it was his to sell.

I gave my dad a customized Mosin Nagant, one of my school projects when i was goin thru smithin school.. He sold it just a few weeks ago. It doesnt really bother me because i know that him and my mom really needed the money, Yeah i wish they had just asked me for a loan, but I also know theyd die before ever asking any of their kids for money..

I have also given a firearm as a gift to my lil' brother, which he took to the pawnshop straight away for beer money. But thats why God invented ass whoopins and popknots. And he got his, and I aint given him another gun since..

I also gave a real nice Finn mosin to a good friend of mine. He still has it and brags about it to all of his other friends. He never even really shoots it because hes afraid of ruining it.. So it is cherished..

Point is, maybe your friend really needed the cash, or maybe he doesnt think much of the gesture of you giving him the firearm. I find its easier and far more satisfying to believe that he really just needed the cash and was too embarassed to say anything to you about it. Its called the benefit of the doubt, and it can be hard to give, but youd be the better man for giving it..

JMHO..;)
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I gess it would depend on why I gave him the gun and why he sold it.If he is a good friend then you should be able to talk to him about it.Remember when you gave him the gun it became his to do with what he wants.If the gun was a special gun to you and told him so when you gave it to him then he should have given you the chance to buy or give the gun back.But if it was a special gun why would you give it away? and if it was not then what does it matter?...............:)GOOFY I was typing when JLA was posting so sory to repeat and i agree with JLA......GOOFY
  4. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

It is better to give than to receive!
  5. Juker

Juker New Member

It's a bitter pill, I know. It's happened to me too. But a gift is a gift, and becomes the property of the new owner. Guns are nearer and dearer to us than most possessions, but consider the birthday gifts, Christmas presents, etc. we've all received in our lives that were subsequently discarded, traded, or sold.

Yes, it completely sucks - ethically, it's a quandary, but legally, it was his.

Chalk it up to another lesson learned, and don't give him any more guns!
  6. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

If I gave him the gun it is his to do what ever he wants, But if I found out he sold it I would not give him another one :(. I have given a few guns to good freinds over the years and to my knowledge they all still have them;).
  7. Juker

Juker New Member

Since we are friends, I promise not to sell or trade any guns you'd like to give me. :D
  8. Juker

Juker New Member

... and I'm kinda diggin' that Green Machine, even though it's not a Colt. :D
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You cant have the green machine... yet..;)
  10. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I'm with juker! JLA,Buddy, friend, pal, If you are in a giveing mood again just PM me;) i will give any gun a good and safe home forever!(or at least till i die):D....................GOOFY
  11. Juker

Juker New Member

And goofy is leaving me all his guns, so you're safe there too. It's a win-win-win for everybody. :lmao2:
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im glad I can count on you guys..:)
  13. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

You bet!! Nothing like good friends to look after you guns;) even if you are not dead yet:D.....GOOFY Juker rent a BIG truck and look for my obit.:rolleyes:
  14. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

With these kind of friends Josh - why would you need any enemies? :D
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If i didnt have enemies I wouldnt have anyone to talk to..:eek: