Euroarms, Colt 1851 Navy Disassembly

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by trapnbow, Jul 28, 2009.

1. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

Gentlemen,

I have a Euroarms, Colt 1851 Navy and have to check the Hand and Spring that rotates the cylinder. While at it I also want to check the cylinder latch. The basic problem is that when the hammer is cocked the cylinder does not always rotate. Actually, if I hold the revolver up side down the cylinder just does not rotate. I suspect a weak spring on the Hand and Spring assembly.

I assume we have some espertise with this revolver. How difficult is it to get to these parts? As I disassemble, should I expect to see springs fly?? BAsically, is it an easy firearm to disassemble and re assemble? Anything that I should know before I operate tonight?

2. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

It's not hard to take it appart. You start by removing he little screws holding the backstrap in place. Pull it off with the grip. The main spring screw is next. Then the trigger guard screws come out, followed by the two finger flat spring for the trigger and bolt. The rest of the parts are easy enough.

Your problem could be the hand spring. Dixie gunworks and egunparts.com have the parts you will need.

If you have a brass frame, then other problems may exist. Brass frames can stretch causing the cylinder to be too loose for the hand to reach and turn properly. This can be fixed, but it's a little more involved than most hobby gunsmiths are ready to work on.
  3. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

45Auto,
    Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. Thanks to you last night's operation was a success. The disassembly was as easy as you described. After your instructions it was easy to remove the hammer screw and slide out the hammer and hand assembly. Stretching the hand spring back does seem to solve the cylinder rotation problem and I plan on replacing the assembly.

While I had it apart I noticed that the "roller" mounted on the bottom of the hammer was not rolling. How important is it for this to actuall roll down the hammer spring? I will buy another but don't want to drive the roller pin out unless it is really necessary. I will not be firing this revolver often. I just love to fix em'! I found that I can buy all the parts directly from Euroarms in CA.

The revolver does have a brass frame and I have taken note of your comments regarding the brass frames. I do not thinkk that this revolver was fired much as there is very little residue in those little hard to clean corners.

Thanks again for your prompt reply. Your directions made the operation fun vs nerve racking. LOL I just love this forum and your response if the reason why!:)
  4. J.levi

J.levi New Member

I need to know how to assemble the trigger assembly,can you please help me out,im utterly lost.
  5. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

I just finished re-building a Colt 1851 Navy with some assistance from the members. It is easy if you get good advise and have the drawing. Please see the link to the Euroarms parts breakdown page. Print the assembly and parts list for reference and read the past posts from this thread. You will find a good reply from 45 Auto, 7/28/09, that gives general disssembly instructions. With those instructions and the assembly drawing you should have no problem.

When reassembling, keep the major assembly screws loose until everything is aligned. Then tighten each slowly. These firearms are not built with the precisison of a Sig.

http://www.euroarms.net/Avancarica/esplosi/EXPL_VIEW_COLT_NAVY_1851.pdf

Take two asprin and calmly proceed, LOL:)
  6. scrat

scrat New Member

Place the hammer spring on the hammer. slide the hammer spring up into the slot the hammer will follow. Align the hammer to put in the screw. Now take the bolt put it in the gun then put in the trigger should be in a non pulled position. then put the screw that hold the bolt in. Now take the strap that goes on the bolt and lay it down and put the screw in. Now you just have to put the trigger guard back on. Then the mainspring with the handle.
  7. J.levi

J.levi New Member

Well I appreciate your help guys, but I know very little about this gun. It was my brothers. He used it as a civil war re enactor. I took it apart to put a new hand spring in. The new spring is in, and turns the cylinder quite nicely, but I cant get the hammer to prime the trigger. The trigger doesnt move when I cock the hammer. Now if I knew what I was doing a bit better scrat's response would help. I guess I need visual instructions. does anyone know where a video describing how to assemble the internal is? Or a guide with pictures? Id really appreciate your help. Thanks.
  8. J.levi

J.levi New Member

I finally got it, thanks guys