Evacuation of Houston

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Sep 22, 2005.

1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

My younger brother lives in Houston and left last night. He posted this on another board today. I thought it was interesting enough to repost here.

2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to hear they're safe, Sniper. Latest news (FoxNews-TV & TWC, both) I saw 1155 hrs CT, said that the traffic out of Houston is stopped B to B for 100 miles and that emergency means are under way to supply gas to those that are running out and cannot get off to get it. It would seem to me that is an IMPOSSIBLE task under the circumstances.

I'd say, your good judgement and God being on your side was the contributing factor to your safe arrival.
  3. TheIceMan

TheIceMan New Member

Stay safe..
  4. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I think I will buy a couple of mules and a wagon ! Don't laugh think about it for a minute.
  5. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Call me a mean ole guy, why are people waiting so long to leave---then expecting it to be smooth sailing.......why???
    Oh-forgot.......Katrina did wake up anyone, so we`re gonna wait and see if Rita is really that bad and big.....GHEESH!

LTS
  6. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Just wanted to reiterate that this was my younger brother's story, not mine. I was intelligent enough to move away from Houston 4-1/2 years ago and now reside "high and dry" up in the Hill Country.

Incidentally, the house I moved out of was in Seabrook, south of Houston and right on Galveston Bay, where Clear Lake dumps into it. About a month or two after I moved out, a tropical storm blew in and flooded the area. There was 5 feet of water in that house. Had I not moved when I did, I would have lost everything. And in this latest hurricane, I doubt that house will survive. It'll be destroyed. Either by wind or flood water, it won't survive. Unfortunately, I have a lot of friends still down there who I haven't heard from. I can only hope they're safe.

One friend in Houston proper bugged out early this morning and will hopefully be arriving here this afternoon to crash at my place. The wife and I are also going to be receiving some horse evacuees. In fact, our area is being flooded (no pun intended) with people who are fleeing the Houston area with their horses and need somewhere to lodge them for a few days. We're all helping where we can. And God knows I like horses more than people, so these are the types of refugees I like to have!
  7. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Because it was less than 24 hours ago that the storm started jogging north to the Houston area. Before that, it was only the coastal areas that were being evacuated. You can't reasonably expect people to evacuate from 50-60 miles inland for a storm that isn't supposed to land there. They kinda had to wait until they knew whether the brunt of the storm was heading their way.
  8. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

71 was always my regular way to go to Austin.
    Good 4 lane divided road.

If I was making that trip in this evac from Houston it would have been 59 south to Hi way 6 or better 36 North to Katy over to Columbus and hit 71 to La Grange and Austin.

The traffic cams show very little traffic on 59 S.
  9. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Sniper, thanks for posting your brother's tale. Glad he made it out safely.
  10. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I have never seen an armadillo die in a storm I am going to find out where they go and get there first :D by way of mule and wagon ;)
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Glad your brother made it sniper! :)
  12. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Sniper, it was not a shot at you or your brother. Just people in general. And this Wens. was not the first day folks new- The tract was forcasted days ago, and no matter where you were-----this storm was nearly 300 miles across. It hit Cat five the morning it passed the tip of Florida and it`s direction was known then, guess some people think unless the eye hits right on your area.........your safe or can wait.

We will get some of it where we are. High winds-up to 24" of rain, tornados. And if it stalls as they predict, it could get worse.

I`ll admit, we can use every inch of rain, don`t care for the tornados.
    It will make hunting camp much better though---cause it opens in a few weeks and wet ground makes it easier to slip around. Instead of walking on crunchy leaves. Course only if camp is above water---lol

LTS
  13. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Yup, haven't heard a word yet. Need to try out the new tires! :D :D :D :D :D
  14. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

WARNING !!!

Don't go there IPT. Remember last time ?? :D

Toby, glad your brother made it safe and sound.
  15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Toby...

Requesting permission to repost your brothers story on a preparedness forum that I frequent.

Thanks either way Man, glad your Brother is safe.

Crpdeth