Ever get a bad box of factory ammo?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Zhurh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Two years back, I picked up a box of Weatherby ammo at Sportsmans, expensive stuff, $120. 30-378, 180 grain, accubonds, lot number 01008. I reload for my 30-378 and never had any problems, except with this box of factory shells; I'd get the tight bolt; over pressure. Got a CED chrono over the winter and tried her out with my reloads & this factory box. From 89 grains RL-22 up to 98 grains using 180 TTSX and 215s. Started out 2900 and at 98 grains RL-22 gave me 3200 fps which I had my VX-3L turret set up at. Then I shot a factory round and got 3480. I almost took a shell apart to weigh the powder myself, but first gave Weatherby a call. Bad lot, send it back to them they said.

Now I have friends loading up 107 grains RL-22 and getting 3700, but that's not me. I just want 3200, fast enough; but sure glad I got the chrono and verified the reason why.

I've also noticed some Hornady ammo is movin along pretty good, faster than max powder amounts I work up to from books when I reload. Just a thought.
  2. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

No but that could be because I never buy factory ammo.
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Bullet manufactures can buy blended powder to achieve velocities you and i cant with the power that is avaliable to us. Just a thought and something for you to know.
  4. TotheTop83

TotheTop83 Member

50 rds Federal 9mm. So weak it wouldn't cycle my P95 when even my weakest, don't-feel-like-recoil-today, handloads were cycling reliably. Looked like a flame thrower coming out the barrel though. Had to stop shooting it because it was more effective to throw them downrange case and all...
  5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Info appreciated, I know how secretive they all are about their loads, but didn't know about blends. The lot number was recalled, so I might take back to sportsmans. See if I can swap for some brass? They want $300 bucks for 100 pieces of 30-378 brass nowadays. I have 16 of those red mtm 100 rounder boxes to fill, only have 7 complete; I spend so much time reloading when it's raining outside; more time than I ever imagined I would be spending.
  6. cutter

cutter New Member

I just spent $300 for 100 .338 Lapua mag cases! I know I will take care of the due to the cost. Exotic rounds are not cheap, but they arefun!!