Ever get bored and really wonder?...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by GMFWoodchuck, May 3, 2009.

1. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I was reloading the other day and I messed up one of the primers. No biggie.
    But when I got done I was looking at the screwed up primer and wondered...What would happen if I set it on the concrete floor and hit it with a hammer? I'll tell you what happens, but first things first. Make sure you don't live in "city limits." Fortunately, no one near by was home. But, boy that was a bigger bang than I thought it was going to be....KABOOM!! :eek: OH CR*P!!! I immediately said right afterwards. Nothing became of it, and I officially do not recommend doing that. However, if you do make sure you got safety goggles on and certainly do not do it within the city-limits of a town that had a shooting a few weeks before.
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

.....and that is the rest of the story".
  3. Lunicy

Lunicy New Member

I did the same with some .22 blanks (for a Hilti) They were loud. Wanna see the scar.
  4. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

When I was kid I used to take a roll of caps (the kind for toy six shooters) and wack them with a hammer. Durn things sounded like a cherry bomb going off it you got a good square hit on the roll. No wonder my hearing is bad.
  5. Mac0083

Mac0083 New Member

Is the primer in a .22long the same compound as a regular centerfire pistol primer? The primer in my 22longs (3 different brands) is yellowish green. The primer in my small and large pistol primers is rusty brown. Is it different in a .22 b/c of rimfire not having an anvil to strike? What are the chemicals in a primer anyway?
  6. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I believe that Fulmate of Mercury is the substance thet primers are made of.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I started laughing when I read this much. I knew that you were going to tell us what happens!!:D:D
  8. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

All this with a full time job. Imagine how destructive I'd be without one. ;)
  9. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I will officially take your recommendation of not trying it :)
  10. bobbrown6507

bobbrown6507 New Member

Lunicy,

Can we see the scar? (you can blur the inappropriate parts)
  11. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

No wonder my hearing is bad.

Huh?
  12. Lunicy

Lunicy New Member

If really interested, I'll get the camera. Make a fist with your off hand, thumb out. If you were to draw a line across the thumb knuckle, continuing across the knuckle of your pointer finger. It was deep.It probably could have used some stitches.
  13. griffon

griffon New Member

Fulmanate of Mercury was used in primers until the concerns over mercury caused it to be replaced by Lead Styphnate.

With the current concerns over lead it's anybody's guess what we will be using in the future.:rolleyes:
  14. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I have a 98K Mauser, 8mm. I take a primed case and fill it to the bottom of the neck with Bullseye pistol powder then put enough toilet paper in to keep the powder in place. It makes a hell of a boom and flash. I have a 375 RUM which holds more than twice as much powder as the 8mm. I'm going to work up a blank load for it.
  15. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Scary............
  16. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I bet that is real purty in the twilight hours.:D:D
  17. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Well, since the substance used in them is so dangerous, they will no longer be allowed to be made.

Sorry firearms owners. Oh well. Guess you'll have to find another hobby.

That'll never happen though. :rolleyes:
  18. bobbrown6507

bobbrown6507 New Member

No need for the picture Lunicy. I was just funnin with ya. It does sound impressive though.

I once took a whole box of those rolled caps (mentioned above), I believe 5 or so rolls were perforated together in each box. I put the box on the floor in the garage, door closed of course and dropped the end of a baseball bat onto the box. Needless to say I never did that again. Hopefully I'm a tad bit smarter these days.
  19. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Ever get bored and wonder why they put 6" pipe threaded on both ends and pipe caps right near each other in the hardware store and the drills and bits a few aisles down?....Hmmm....Naw...I'll wait till I have kids and do it when they're older. I'm sure I'll have a "construction" project then....They'll for sure think I'm the world's greatest Dad.:)
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
  20. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member