Ever had this happen to you

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Jackman, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Was at the range today shooting the Ruger 10/22 and one round sounded not quite right and the shell did not eject as far as normal (its semi auto)so I put a cleaning patch in the camber and took a gander down the barrel and could not see any light :eek:, ran a cleaning rod down the barrel and there it was a .22 bullet was stuck mid way in the barrel , that was a first for me and a darn good thing I did not fire of the next round :eek:....... So that ever happen to you?
  2. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

Never have myself, but there are a lot of jugged .22RF barrels to prove it does happen on occasion ! FWIW, I suspect most of them are dated; that is back to eras where current standards of priming/loading weren't nearly so stringent. >MW
  3. kobsw

kobsw Member

Jackman, That is a Squib Load and a good catch on your part because sometimes the shooter does not hear the defective round.

Google Squib Load and select images in the upper left of the page. You will then see what happens when the next round is fired.

Glad you still have your gun in one piece and that you weren't hurt.

Oh yeah, no it hasn't happened to me and I hope it never does.

Kobsw
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

What were you shooting out of it? I'd contact the ammo mfg and let them know what lot number was on the ammo; see if they have had any other issues with that lot. ( unless it was old ammo, then I'd just throw away any I had left )
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I did it with aguila super colibris in my model 5, but I always check those anyway
  6. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Thanks all and a big thanks to Kobsw for IDing the situation I did a Google :eek: what it could have been was bad, the 10/22 is brand new I just bought it on Christmas this was the third time out with it, we had been shooting several different brands of new ammo the squib happened with Winchester target ammo I forgot to mention that when I pushed the bullet out there was also unburnt powder in there too, we packed it up at that point to clean it up at home.