Ever Sell Guns You Don't Use Much To Buy A New One

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flyingtiger85, Aug 29, 2011.

1. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Active Member

I've kinda been craving a Ruger GP-100 or a Ruger Blackhawk 357/9mm stainless.The gun funds are a little low and ya got that gun fever feeling going on.Have you ever looked at the inventory and started thinking.I don't know if it's that Christmas morning feeling or waiting to shoot it.Sometimes you don't want to wait.It will probalbly pass,that way you'll end up with more guns.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I do it all the time. Thats what its all about.. refining your collection. I have 2 gun safes. one is full of stuff i WONT sell and one is full of stuff I trade off to get new stuff.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I'm always looking to reduce my no-longer-wanted pile of guns. In this past year I've sold/traded off over a dozen long guns.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I frequently sell/trade guns that I'm not interested in anymore.

Only a few pieces hold any sentimental value to me. One is a Remington .22 that belonged to my grandfather, the one he taught us to shoot with. The other is a Ruger 10/22 that my wife gave me as a wedding present.

Everything else could go if something else struck my fancy. It's the only way I get to try out new toys at the rate I like.
  5. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I have been debating on doing something with my Rock River AR10. I have really been wanting a 1911 and something for Donna.....but so far I generally keep what I get.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I picked up a new toy today. paid cash tho. no trade offs..:)
  7. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

And there is my problem...no cash, but so much I want....LOL
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I truly feel your pain J. Not all that long ago I was selling 3 to buy 1 because I didnt have the funds available and craved champagne on a beer budget..
  9. H-D

H-D Active Member

no pics?
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yup.. .22 rimfire forum.. 'my new toy' thread
  11. Juker

Juker New Member

I've sold more than a few over the last 30 years, some I barely remember, one I keep kicking myself about, to this day. Colt .357 Python, 22 years ago, I still wake up screaming in the dead of night... But it was a bad patch and there were bills to pay.
  12. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I, too, do it all the time . I've made some good deals and some really dumb ones. Trading a Spencer rifle was the worst one. I think about it almost daily and kick myself! To embarrassed to say what I traded it for .:(
  13. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I usually keep something to trade, like the S&W model 67 Combat Masterpiece I have currently. I'll put some cash with it and buy something else. It's usually something I get in trade but is a duplicate or something I don't need. But, the trading and selling is always fun. I usually end up missing most of them and have even bought or traded again to get it back. :D
  14. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Oh my, this thread brings up memories I would just as soon not visit. Yea I have sold lots of guns to have money to buy others and I like the new ones but:banghead: why did I sell that one or the other one or that Smith or that Colt. if I had just kept that one and sold the other one:thud:
  15. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Right now, Im trying my damdest to build my collection, but those "trade ya this fer that" deals are sometime too hard to pass up! Although Im just in my infancy with the firearm collection, I still like to think Ive owned quite a few, even tho the safe is lookin pretty bare! But I like that idea JLA has! One safe for your "sacred arms" and the other for "notso sacred" arms! Welp, guess I need another safe! Hahahaha!
  16. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I do it all the time. I have either traded or sold outright to buy another one. About 5 years ago my Grandson took one of my derringers to school. My wife told me it was my fault because I had so many guns, so I sold about a dozen to show her that I was sorry it happened :rolleyes:. Then ended up buying about a dozen different kind:p :D. I am getting ready to sell my Springfield M1A and Ruger LCR so I can get something (or two) different!!
  17. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I have regreted every gun I ever sold but have now managed to retrieve all but one due to massive regret. The one I haven't gotten back was sold so long ago I have no way to find it and it is not sorely missed anyway. Moral of story : never sell any of your guns!!! If you do they will automatically become the most accurate and smoothest shooting gu n you ever owned and your heart will be torn to pieces over it's departure. :D
  18. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

The short answer is YES. I was never rolling in the dough, and after getting married and having little kids on what I was making it got tighter and I always had to scrounge money or "horse-trade" for ANY guns, and the quickest way to buy a "new to me" one was to sell some that I accumulated.

The LONG answer is I have lamented a LOT of the ones I sold, that while I KNEW I made a decent profit on and that the profit "begot" another, I still have lamented many.

But then again, when I got my CRFFL I was in hog heaven, at least at first, when therre were many "2fer" "3fer" and yeah even "5fer" deals! I remember my FIRST CRFFL purchase, mix and match Polish or Hungarian G-VG M44s, "5fer $175!"

Buy 5, clean and shoot them all, save the BEST Pole and Hunky, sell the others for $60-$100 each...heck, the ones you KEPT are essentially FREE:D AND you get some "seed money" BACK for another deal...

Now the CRFFL deals are not that wild any more, but there are GOOD ones around if you lokk, but it's the same principle.

EXCEPT.....:mad:

I ONCE had a SWEET collection of all the M44s possible...until somebody made me an offer I couldn't refuse on my sweet shooting but rough Hunky I saved from that first deal, and both my Chinese Type 53s...:mad:

Have you seen what Hungarian M-44s, much LESS Type 53s are bringing NOW????:mad::mad::mad:

The Bottom line selling guns to buy more guns is fun, you will find yourself owning and firing more guns than you ever imagined yourself owning or firing, AND you get all that good free exercise....;)

....from kicking yourself in the BUTT so many times years later about a couple of those "deals" you thought at the time were SO good....:cool:

And NEVER "cross-reference" your passions....:cool:

I will tell you the story of the SWEET DCM Garand I let go once to buy a set of Hoosier Racing Tires for my NASCAR Mini-stock in 1991....

TRUST me. The tires were used up and GONE after half a season, and heck, I got OUT of racing not soon after that ...and that Garand has never been replaced, and when I do, I will pay a HELLUVA lot more than what I got for it, much LESS the $165 I PAID for it....:mad::mad::mad::mad:
  19. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Another true story of regret offered only to save you the agony that we have suffered!
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yup. and sometimes the sacred arms safe gets gone thru and the weapons held and reflected upon. If they have stopped singing to me when I pick them up and fondle them I put them back in the trade off safe instead of the sacred arms safe and try the idea on awhile. Most of the time ill take them out and shoot them and remember why they were in the sacred arms safe in the first place and quickly put them back in there... ;)

Most recently happened with my Taurus PT1911. I finished the green machine and it shot so well and handled so well I was thinkin of selling off my mut so I cleaned er up and put er in the trade off safe, and even told a couple friends about it and they wanted to come get it, but I hesitated, thankfully.. So I took it over to the range and shoot a B27 silhouette, shooting offhand at 3, 7, and 15 yds, same 50 rds youd fire at CCW qualification, firing as fast as i could get a sight picture... 37 Xs, 5 10s, and 8 9s. perfect score, that B27 has a tangerine sized hole where the X ring was. SO the mut got cleaned and put back in the sacred safe..:D