Ever Sell Guns You Don't Use Much To Buy A New One

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flyingtiger85, Aug 29, 2011.

1. terminator

terminator Member

What ya got to trade??
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I been thinkin of trading off my accurized SS mini14. Want to get the wife a .223 boltaction, something like a savage 10PC..
  3. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Yeah...I must admit I have...and soon regretted selling them...:)
  4. 218bee

218bee Member

YES............ And I wish I had about half of them back. Long ago I got rid of any "collectible" guns that I couldn't shoot (for fear of reducing their value)
    But along the way I sold others to buy something new. Many times it was a good choice, but I have sold some I wish-ta-dickens....I had back. The "ole- 20_20 hind-sight" cliche'.....Don in SC :(
  5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yeah, I've done it in the past, but try not to do it too much. I traded my Ruger Blackhawk for a S & W Mod. 28 some years ago. I was tired of the single action wanted a nicer double action wheel-gun. I've never regretted the trade, the Mod. 28 is a great shooting pistol. :cool:

BTW, it wasn't an even trade, I had to throw in some cash along with the Blackhawk to do the deal on the S & W.
  6. bgr2014

bgr2014 New Member

I have done some of those kind of deals myself. Sold an Ithaca mod. 600 20ga o/u like new for $200 and found one 20yrs. later but the Japan made one and gave $475 for it, won't sell this one. Also sold S&W mod41 target 22lr. for $200 was probably worth $600 at that time. Got out of guns and hunting started bass fishing, WRONG it cost me more than guns and hunting. Been back into guns and hunting since 74.
  7. patriot1973

patriot1973 New Member

I have done it once or twice before, and have always regretted it later. Better to save up and wait than let one go.
  8. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Sold my Ruger Super Blackhawk and bought a first series Vaquero, 7 1/2" in .45 Colt. Fun gun to shoot, but a bit clunky for carry afield, so it's been joined by a 4 5/8" Vaquero, also early series and also in .45 Colt. The latter is my carry gun these days.
  9. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Although I don't like to do it, I have. Heck, I don't even know anyone who hasn't. Nobody really likes doing it that much either but, it is what it is and if you've been in the game long enough you find that it's a part of the hobby.
  10. BlueDragonLair

BlueDragonLair Member

Just a thought if you happen to pick up a gun just because, be sure to either shoot it or at least break it down to inspect it when you get it.
    Reason being, I bought a new Jennings 22 at a Pawn/jewelry store, oh about 15 or so years ago because it was marked new and was on $$SALE$$ that couldn't pass up. I don't remember what I paid but I know it was not much, like less than $50. It was just something to leave in center console compartment of a seldom used pickup.
    About year ago took truck for brake replacement and took it out. I figured had not been shot before and been sitting all that time I would clean it and go see how it shot.
    Well I had to look on YouTube, please don't laugh to much, at how to break it down. With a ball point pen, LOL! If I knew that back then I would not of bought it. Anyway, firing pin never engaged. I got it apart and back together but still firing pin don't work. All the parts are there and rewatched video and looks like I put back together right. Tried it 3 or 4 times even got Mama to watch video and make sure had spring and pin in right direction.
    Kinda ashamed to take it to a gunsmith, so it's in junk box now. And after 15 years alittle late to complain at store, LOL!
  11. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I don't do a lot of trading, but I do sell some in order to buy a different one. Sold four Mosin Nagants to buy two first year Chinese SKS's, then sold one of them as part of an AR build. Sold a POS Spanish .32 semi-auto pistol and a Henry AR7 .22 rifle that I didn't like at all and rolled that money over into a .38spl revolver for the wife. Every time I've sold it's been at a profit, so I can't complain.
  12. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Old thread from 2011, but its a good one. yea, like most I have sold a couple of guns to buy a new one. I usually do it because my gun cabinet only holds 10 guns, so I have to make room. I could buy another gun cabinet, but I'm pretty sure the wife might notice that.
  13. old fart 54

old fart 54 Member

Don't sell at all just add to what I got. 4 cabinets full and still got em stuffed under the bed in hard cases. got 4 bought from 80 to 86 everything else is from 1887 to 1979. sold about 20 of em in 1986 over and above what I have now cuz wife said I had too many.
  14. rimmer1

rimmer1 Member

I lost all of mine in a boating accident.
  15. hobby_mesa

hobby_mesa Active Member

I've wanted to sell 2 .38/.357 Smith's for a while, now. But the ball and chain resists this procedure rather steadfastly since Ojerko got in office. Doesn't seem to matter to her I don't shoot them and never have. Just a couple nice tools I don't have a use for as I have another Smith .38 that fills that niche.