Ever try turkey or chicken burgers instead of beef? NOT BAD!

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by mjp28, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Ever try turkey or chicken burgers instead of beef? NOT BAD!

We've had both this and last week.

My wife who besides being a scratch cook is always looking for bargains and yes even healthy eating choices.

Now I'm no health nut in fact I had a Wendy's Son of Baconator and Chili Cheese fries today.....ummmm. :D

My wife gets fresh ground turkey or chicken from the butcher and basically uses them in place of beef. I personally like the chicken better than the turkey by far but both are good with a piece of swiss or other cheese right off the grill.

I will get her to write down her chicken burger recipe later but I'm sure you can use your favorite ingredients too. ;)
  2. garydude

garydude Member

Yessir, we have them all the time. A bit dry compared to regular beef, but my wife has taken to adding in about 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in the turkey and it is fabulous that way.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

lotsa chicken burgers here , turkey , who has left over turkey to mince ??
  4. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

That's true! Forget Thanksgiving leftovers here.

She asks the butcher to cut and grind whatever cut she wants on the bird.

I hear ostrich isn't bad...never tried it.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

oily is ostrich cooking it the oil will burn and taint the rest , not a fan , emu is a bit too but nowhere near as bad and you can feed three big hungry blokes off one drum stick !!
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

all i eat.. no ground beef anymore.

add some onion and a lil worstershire ( spelling?. ) and hard to tell.

I also use ground bird in lasagna and other dishes.. meatloaf..e tc. can use oatmean in most dishes calling for rice as a filler too.
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I haven't tried them but it sounds good.
  8. Clipper

Clipper Member

Say it isn't so! Here I am in the very midst of Beef country and you talk turkey and chicken burgers? Have you no shame?
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This is what I ate last night mjp. Two hamburgers with garden fresh tomatoes, grilled onions, cheddar cheesemayo, a potato chip on top, and a Pepsi to wash it down.

Attached Files:

10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Clipper dropped two more calves last night and i may have another nesting up now for tonight , but ya cant eat beef every meal , or roo or bunny ,

looks good Highboy
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Folks that like Pepsi Cola were born with no taste buds! :eek: :D

There are a lot of things that can be done with chicken, or turkey, to make tastey burgers. But with beef, you only have to cook it!
  12. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

That sounds great...right up to the Pepsi part, I'm a Diet Coke guy (as I'm sitting here eating some greasy Mama Cozzi's sliced pepperoni right out of the bag getting grease all over my keyboard). A beer goes OK too, especially with a good steak.

We always used to eat steak, burgers, hotdogs, sausage, etc. which I love but these chicken burgers DONE RIGHT are pretty good. Turkey is OK but dries easier so you need more "stuff".

When I ask my wife what the "stuff" is well it varies depending how she does it and what's on hand -but- I will get her chicken burger recipe when she gets home! It was goood!
  13. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i love a good greaseburger.. alas in the last couple years.. health changes have made those impossible now.

have to wat salads.. raw vegies and friuit.. cooked vegies.. whole grains.. lett bread.. virtually no dairy fat.. less white bread and refined sugar and starches... lean menats like chix and turket breast.. or fish.

no fried.. only grilled or baked or broiled.

no pork.. only lean beef.. no marble.. no ground beef.. limited ground turket if 97-99% ff.. chicken dogs on whole weat bun.. etc..

i guess a life of twinkies, doughnuts and hamburgers caught me.. :)
  14. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

A bump from the MUSTARD LOVERS thread, turkey dogs with cheddar in them, ummmmm!!

[​IMG]
    5 of 5 Average Rating (6 total reviews)

http://www.johnsonville.com/products/turkey-w-cheddar.html

Enjoy the Great Taste of Johnsonville, now made with turkey! We blend real turkey and creamy Cheddar cheese, then naturally hardwood smoke the links until they are juicy and flavorful. They’re Heaven on a Bun!

Available in: 13.5 oz. Packages (LESS FAT than regular dogs or sausage!)

Had them with different dijons plus I also put mayo on each one....yes I like mayo on sandwiches! Do any of you?

They were really flavorful and gooood.
    :D
  15. ejkoechling

ejkoechling Active Member

mayo & horseradish mustard. mmmmmm Good stuff
  16. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I started eating mustard & Hellman's Mayo as a kid (Regular or Lite 1/2 cal. now).

With a few exceptions like hotdogs w/sauerkraut, yellow mustard and tabasco. LOVE IT!

Early on in the 1960s-1980s mills there wasn't anywhere to eat and have cold beer after 3-11:30 on the west side of Youngstown but Stanley's on Salt-Springs Rd. had the best ever homemade sauerkraut on the dogs!!

Football season we'd order them by the box....I think it's long gone now but OH it was so good.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  17. ejkoechling

ejkoechling Active Member

having sausage & kraut as I'm writting this for dinner
  18. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Turkey dogs, turkey and pork sausage mixed and ground turkey and hamburger mixed. Been doing it for years since old age health issues started being an item with my brother sistewr and me. The alternative between eating old style or eating smart was not eating at all because we weren't around no more.
  19. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

We have turkey tacos and burritos instead of beef. Takes a little getting used to, but they're good. Yours looks really good Jim.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  20. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I have and don't like it at all. When it comes to burgers, it must be beef or bison for me. Nothing else. I'll use ground beef and ground pork for meat balls, though. Sometimes ground sausages. Chorizo or Italian sausages make GREAT meatballs.

Now, I love turkey. I smoke two or three a year. Ground chicken for homemade breaded chicken patties (haven't had them in a long while). Lately, I've been using pounded boneless chicken breasts for these. But, I usually don't like these two meats ground up. I'd rather eat them off the bone after being smoked or roasted.