1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

ever use a 7mm08 case for 308?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cycloneman, Mar 15, 2012.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

just wondering if anyone has every done this. The cases are pretty close. The 7mm would have to be cut down to spec if this is possible. then i guess the concern is for the thinning of the neck wall.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Not 7mm/08, but I've "upsized" 243s and used them. Not a problem.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

NO, but I have used a .270 case for 30.06, just to see if I could,
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

YOU tend to get a more uniform neck tension. Because of the expander ball drawing the smaller neck to the larger size.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep. Cpt. beat me to it. Thats somewhat of an unspoken benchrest shooters technique.

A 7/08 run thru a .308 die and trimmed to spec and fireformed then necksized would have better neck tension than a .308 case necksized, and you prolly wouldnt have to turn the neck either.
  6. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

OK, it's not unusual for me to be confused, but I thought a 7mm/08 was a wildcat starting with a .308 and necked down to .284(7mm), not sure if the shoulder position/angle is also changed,