everyone wants a 9... (CZ v S&W)

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

wsmc667
    (10/5/02 8:32:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All everyone wants a 9... (CZ v S&W)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hi all,

i'm reading through many pages of this forum and i see a common repeated theme: what auto to buy?

i guess there are three questions/categories we all need to consider:

1) use - store protection, home prot., target, carry, someone new to guns, first auto, etc.
    2) caliber - kinda related to above, but unless you're expecting to need to take people down frequently, i think this is less of an issue for home protection or target shooters.
    3) price

i'm looking to get an auto. well, two really. i'm tempted to get a .22 but i also want something for the house with more stopping power than my .22 mag, something the missus can shoot, and that i will enjoy on the target range. so i'm thinking about a 9mm. while reading through the many posts related to this, i took some notes from this forum on what guns i keep hearing about... [with my observations]

- Makarov [none readily available]
    - Sig P239. [apparently kind of spendy]
    - Ruger P89. [currently on sale at a local store for $299. feels rather big in my hand, and i've got big hands!]
    - EEA ?? [didn't see any]
    - CZ .. [one store had them for over $400, another for less.]

So while looking around, i saw these:
    - walther ppk/s .380 for $529
    - glock 23 for $539
    - s&w sw9ve for $399 (or used for $369)
    - another sw9ve used for $295. doesn't even look fired
    - CZ 75BD for $380

i kinda like that CZ. feels smaller than the others, especially the rugers. more comfortable. so i'm on the fence between the sw9ve and the CZ. the sales guy was leaning more towards the CZ... said it's the cheapest "good gun" there is. i tend to agree and like the steel frame. how do y'all feel about putting a bunch of rounds through them on a range over time? do y'all's experience say one is better?

thanks!
    chris in sandy eggo, p.r.k.

wsmc667
    (10/5/02 9:36:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: everyone wants a 9... (CZ v S&W)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    dang it, now i see that there are .22lr conversion kits for glocks. makes me start wanting to consider a glock, too. they cost more, but with the conversion, i won't need to also buy a buck mark...

75BDdude
    (10/6/02 12:51:28 am)
    I am really partial to the CZ. I have a CZ75 BD and am very happy with it. The de-cocker was pretty tight at first but the whole gun has smoothed out very nicely. I have about 600 rounds through it so far. There is a .22 conversion kit for CZ's as well. It's called the Kadet. I was very impressed with the quality of the barrel in mine. It has a very smooth bore and is one of the most accurate handguns out of the box that I've ever owned. I have no experience with the S&W so I can't say anything there. Good luck on your purchase!! I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you get!!

wsmc667
    (10/6/02 1:04:34 am)
    thanks, 75BDdude, that's some good experience you've had with that gun. it sure felt well made when fondling it at the store.

i saw the kadet conversion and wrote about it on the rimfire forum. it's as much as a buckmark. may just have to end up with both eventually.

thanks! chris

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/6/02 9:10:14 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: everyone wants a 9... (CZ v S&W)
    Don't own a CZ but a good friend of mine does. He likes it because the grip is smaller. Glocks are just awkward as far as he is concerned (and for me it's the same way).

Best way to determine what gun to get is if at all possible to find a place where you can check them out. This way you can see what works with you (or in this case what works with your wife). She's got to feel comfortable handling it or it'll never get picked up and in an emergency she won't know how to use it correctly and probably end up getting hurt.

For me it's my Beretta 92F. Bigger grip than the CZ but I'm comfortable with it and I have small hands. While I didn't do what I suggested above (trying out more than one weapon) I got lucky. Since it was my dad's I'd of gotten it whether I could shoot it or not but it's nice to know that it works for me.

Whatever you do decide on make sure you and your wife practice on if you intend to use it for home defense.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/6/02 10:55:51 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: everyone wants a 9... (CZ v S&W)
    Have you looked at 45ACPs by Colt,Wilson,Kimber???There are many other manufacturers but those are the ones I like.

I think the Rock River Arms 45 is reasonably priced.

wsmc667
    (10/6/02 1:31:54 pm)
    hey Warpig,

hmmm. i think i'm going to wait a while on the .45. it's got a fanatical following here, but i think i'm going to be happy with a 9 for now. part of the idea with the 9 is to take it to a range. and as shoot happy as i get, i think the .45 would cost too much! i was kind of surprised that one target with 5 bullseyes consumed $8 in ammo for the .22 mag!

also part of my reasoning is : doesn't the .45 have more recoil than the 9?

and TallTLynn, yes, wifey and i are going to practice. gonna take a course together at a range to learn some common sense then come up with plans/drills for the house. we've got two dogs and a long hallway leading up to the bedroom... just have to make sure to miss the shephard. (the collie will be cowering)

no smilies at the end of this post. too damn serious. hopefully will never be in such a situation. thankfully, our current `hood is devoid of break ins, but we're not that far from badness.

chris in sandy eggo, p.r.k.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/6/02 1:53:05 pm)
    If I were to be looking at a 9mm, I would look for a used Glock17 with several hi-caps together in the package.

.......you didn`t hear it for me, though.

INCOMING!

Bompa
    (10/6/02 9:13:03 pm)
    In my opinion there is no better handgun than the CZ75b unless you go to the 1911..Different breed of cat though..I believe that the CZ will be easier to learn on and use..With a bunch of experience then it is time for a 1911,if you are so inclined..A 22lr is the cheapest and easiest to really learn with
    and a conversion kit is available to both the CZ and the 1911..
    The CZ and conversion kit would allow you and wife to enjoy,
    shooting is for enjoyment plus the serious stuff,the best of both worlds..22lr,cheap shooting,low noise and recoil and accuracy and the large bore for enjoyment,when you are ready for it,plus the defensive capabilities.
    If I were to start getting into guns today this is what I would do..

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/7/02 7:42:12 am)
    But why buy a Honda, when you want a HARLEY
    In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/17/02 2:12:58 pm)
    I've changed my outlook on the 9 mm, I use to spit on the ground when the 9 vs the 45 argument ever came up. But thats all behind me now ever since my son gave me a 9 mm.

Great little plinker gun for doodling around. And I even had the loading dies before I got that gun...came with my old Dillon RL 450 press.

GG