1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

everything required to reload 12ga.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JLA, Dec 3, 2008.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I am going to take the plunge into shotshell reloading. with buckshot loads commanding more then 1.00 a round i cant afford to tear $#!+ up as much as i used to. What do i need to get started? I already have several loading manuals and several pounds of suitable powders as i load magnum handgun cartridges. Also, any tips would also be much appreciated.

JLA;)
  2. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I got started with a Pacific press that only came with one powder bushing & one 1-1/8 ounce shot bushing in 12 ga. The press works nice but I've had to buy other bushings for different loads. Then I got the same press in 20 ga.

A couple of years ago I bought a Lee "Load all" in 12 ga. It's rougher in operation but half the cost. The nice thing about the Lee shotshell loader is that it comes with a grundle of bushings so that you can load almost any load without buying more bushings.

You'll need to pay attention to what empty hulls you have to load because specific ones are called out in the load info mostly because of the internal spaces & how they affet crimping. Load info will come with whatever press you buy & the only manuals I know of that include shotgun are the Lee second edition which is ok but the best is the new Lyman shotshell manual. It's great.

The most common hulls that are included in published loads seem to be the Winchester AA & Federal gold medals.

You'll need your empty hulls, powder (Red Dot etc), lead or steel shot, wads & shotgun 209 primers.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

+1 for a Lee Load-All. You'll have to load slow, since I doubt buckshot will fall through the hoppers, but the Load-All will get the job done.
  4. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

The double "OO" buckshot loads I've done were nine pellets each if I remember. You're right that they won't feed thru the press. It's easy to count them out while loading. The one that's given me fits is "T" buck for turkys. It won't meter in the bushings & there are too many pellets to count. Ended up weighing them on my powder scale.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

appreciate the info guys. im gonna get set up and load up a 5 gallon bucket of #4 buck loads. those are my favorite to shoot. I was leaning toward the lee anyway as i already have a lee anniversary for my rifle and pistol ammo and the brand has proved itself worthy to me. I dont mind the slow goin, perhaps its really the quiet time i desire anyways. Thanks once again.

JLA