excessive pressure signs

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 38 special, Jun 7, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

without some elaborate tesing device, whats the best way to know you are not exceeding pressure limits in a 38 special? The reloading manuals are all over the place when you check reloading manuals from the 1950's to now.
    If you stick to the manuals you will find that a 1960 manual may show loads that are way above current loads yet listed as standard 38 special(not +P ) loads.
    My check is as follows if the recoil isnt too severe and the cases dont stick ejecting them or the primer dent is not pushed out and the case isnt cracked and ther is no rachet peening and the gun is still in time and doesnt bind up I would asssume no excessive pressure developed. Do you agree? Of course that would also assume that you are using some published load in a reputable manual (but not necessarily from a current manual). do you agree?
  2. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I would say you got it covered with the check list you have.
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Be real careful of heavy loads. Guns can and do fail.

On the left, a Smith cylinder, on the right, a 1911 barrel (I sawed of the blown bit to keep).

Attached Files:

4. 38 special

38 special New Member

Thanks for your response. I will always check these things after any new load i try. One of the older manuals lists 3 grains of red dot with 148 grain wadcutter as a very accurate (and relatively light load). My father always had a bunch of these loaded up for target practice and ive been loading and shooting them ever since with absolutely no problem and no leading to speak of. When I bought a newer manual in 2000, it had 2.8 grains of red dot as MAX load. thats when I knew something was screwy.I have read articles that claim manufacturers have much reduced the loadings strictly because of liability concerns and fears that someone may shoot otherwise safe loads in a piece of junk saturday night special and blow up the gun. I suppose that has a lot to do with the current loadings data.
  5. 38 special

38 special New Member

Good picture, Tranter.