The Firearms Forum banner

excessive smoke....?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  RugerBob 
#1 ·
hi all, reloaded some 45LC and took them to the range. Pertty happy with the outcome. One thing I did notice was it seemed like a lot of smoke comimg out of the cylinder area. Not like a black powder gun, but , still a lot of smoke. Is this ok and what could I be doing that might prevent this?It does smoke a little with factory ammo also. I am using 250grain bullet with 8 grains of unique with std/mag winchester primers. The gun is a Ruger Blackhawk 7.5' barrel. I shot the same ammo out of my Puma model92 rifle and was no smoke to speak of. I was wondering if this is a ammo or perhaps a gun issue. Or it just may be me being over cautious. I've had the ruger for several years and just started reloading. I like to hit the range 2-3 times a month and more at times. I clean my guns after every use. any input will be greatly appreciated. thanks, Bob

#4 ·
Ruger, another thing is how hot was it that day at the range?

Some powders smoke more when it is hot out...I used to shoot 700x in my IPSC days and when it got over 90 degrees in the summer I used to get asked by other smart@sses on the line how I got blackpowder to hit major in my .45....:cool:

#5 ·
thanks for the reply polishshooter, temp at the range was probably 72-75 degrees. Don't get the heat here in maine, atleast not what I am used to, having lived in the great state of texas for 22 years. I usually hit the range here around 6;30 am, less traffic, peaceful.stay a few hours . thanks again Bob

#6 ·
also , if you are using cast lead, commercial or hand cast, with a solid bullet lube packed into the groove, you will get some smoke from between the barrel cylinder gap because of the melting lube. i had the same happening with cowboy loads for my .44 mag(which is also a ruger:) ). they smoke like black powder in my sixgun, but not at all from my marlin 1894 cowboy levergun... just a thought....

#8 ·
Any SASS members on this thread ??

Sgt. Mount
SASS # 10454

#12 ·
I noticed that too with my reloads. i was out shooting yesterday some .38sp reloads with unique, and there was quite a bit of smoke, and my hands were gray when I finished shooting. I thought maybe I had screwed up and made my loads hot. Even though they shot fine. Guess I'll start looking for another powder.
Appliancedude

#13 ·
I went down to the local trading post today and picked up some Trail Boss and just finished loading up a 100 shells. I'll test fire them tomorrow and see how they are. I like the unique and glad to see thats all it was ,no falults or damages. I'll let ya know how things go.
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.