Executive Order by the President

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Hugh357, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Hugh357

Hugh357 Member

I was wondering how the president can sign executive orders that become law if not over ridden by congress in 30 days. I realize congress is TOTALLY ineffectual so I will not even go there. I looked up Executive Orders and the internet dictionary states that Executive Orders are authorized by the United States Constitution(1787). I have a full pocket version of the Constitution and I have read it totally and can find NOTHING that gives the president the authority to write Executive Decisions.(Orders) I went through the executive portion and the legislative portion of the Constitution. NOTHING. Could someone chime in here with a article, section or amendment that gives the president the power of Executive Order?
    By the way. Most of what our government is doing today looks remotely nothing like the Constitution.
    I also looked at some of the Executive Orders signed by Obummer and it is difficult to understand what many of them mean and some are plain scary. Legal ease, reference and clarification to other laws and orders.
  2. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Hugh, you're looking at the inevitable consequences of seven-plus decades of states ceding their constitutionally delineated rights/powers to the federal government. Five plus generations of americans have been duped into building this power pyramid in return for "entitlements" serving only to further enslave them. >MW
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Executive Orders are supposed to be directives to the various government workers and departments on how to conduct their business within the legislation and intent of Congressionally passed laws. It has been perverted and twisted beyond recognition.

Pops
  4. UncleDannie

UncleDannie New Member

Oh, come on. Executive Orders are clearly delineated in the laws and by-laws of the Dictatorial Decree. Seriously, every year we get closer and closer to a dictatorship. I'm just waiting for an election to go wrong for someone, and martial law will be declared. The Constitution will be suspended pending the conclusion of the emergency. The problem in the Middle East may escalate to a nuclear war between Israel and Iran, pulling the rest of the world into the infernal.

Every time you vote for an incumbent, you perpetuate the status quo. I'm neither a Republican nor a Democrat. I'm a fiscal conservative constitutionalist.
  5. bountyh

bountyh Former Guest

That's not strictly correct. They go into effect, but EO's are not laws in the traditional sense because they apply their direction to government agencies. A law can force citizens to do things or not do things, take your money, etc but EO's generally apply to the government and use of the military. EO's a re basically laws that the government has to follow. The POTUS can not simply issue laws, he can basically force the government to do his bidding. The most terrifying usurpation of power was the new "pre emptive" doctrine invented when Bush said he had the right to invade any country he saw as a potential threat...... that one set a new record.

But it is true that the balance of power has been horribly shifted to the executive branch. When the US was bombed by japan, FDR had to go before congress the next day and get a declaration of war to use the military. Those times are long past, the congress' power has been greatly diminished now that the exec wields the military at their whim.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  6. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

7. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

This President does what he wants. The title should be Dictator.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

EO's do not become law at any time unless Congress enacts the same wording and the president signs it into law.

Some EO's are actually required by Congress when it passes a law saying something like "The President shall order the X Department to conduct a study...." The President does that by EO.

How far can the President go with an EO? We don't really know, but it bears watching.

Jim