1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Expand & powder charge die for LNL AP

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by stev32k, Nov 11, 2012.

1. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with an expand/powder charge die on the Hornady LNL for 9mm and .40 S&W. I would like to free up one station on the press to use the Lee factory crimp die and using a combination powder charge & expanding die seems to be the best option.

The problem is I'm reading a lot of conflicting information in various forums about all the dies. Some don't like the Hornady PTX and some do. Some don't like the powder funnel but others rave about it.

I know the Lyman Multi-expand powder charge die won't work with the LNL, but what will?
  2. Evins74s

Evins74s Member

I have my Hornady LNL set up for 40's and I am using the factory case crimp. My set up is....
    1. Size/deprime
    1.5 Primer
    2. Case mouth expand
    3. Powder drop
    4. Bullet seat
    5. Bullet crimp

I would like to open a spot for the powder cop. What I am doing right now is just weighing every 10th round to check for powder accuracy. As far as using the combination die, sorry can't help ya.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This is exactly how I have my Hornady LNL press set up.
  4. stev32k

Mine is set up:
    1. size/deprime
    1.5 prime
    2. case expand
    3. powder drop
    4 Bullet feeder
    5. bullet seat/crimp

I like the bullet feeder because it eliminates one hand operation. With this set-up all I do is add a case and pull the handle. With the powder drop/expand I could keep the bullet feeder and still add the factory crimp die.
  5. gary0529

gary0529 Member

stev,
    reload with the LnL unit and did use the powder thru expander in 9mm but was not entirely happy with its performance so I found and aftermarket PTE that really works much better. Sorry I don't remember where I got it or who makes it but I think I could go thru my invoices in the shop and dig it out.
    The problem I found with Hornady's unit is inconsistent flaring of the case mouths-
    Probably ran over 2000 reloads with the new PTE and quite satisfied.
    It allows me to use a Powder Cop in that station and I appreciate the added safety check

If you are interested in the maker of the new unit, get back to me either here or send a pm and I will give a look.

Gary
  6. gary0529

gary0529 Member

stev,
    as a PS on the above post, I use the same PTE while reloading 380 ACP cases and it works just as well as in the 9mm--as one would expect seeing as how they are both .356

Gary
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Stev,

I use the Hornady PTX, it works well. There seems to be a very widespread misunderstanding of its use and matter of fact there are youtube videos of users explaining how to set up the powder measure/PTX incorrectly without the required linkage. I am certain Hornady will send you a free linkage if you call them, ( I understand you are getting to know these guys well) unless you have one already. The PTX works 100% if you understand its function and patiently dial it in.
  8. gary0529

gary0529 Member

I went that route-called CS and they promptly sent me the parts.
    When they arrived nothing fit nor came close to being usable so I called CS back and was then told that my unit was below the cut off serial # for the fix to be applied.
    Sorry they said.

I then went to an aftermarket PTX and am as happy as a clam.

Unlike some who posted, I am extremely satisfied with the LnL.
    Have put thru well in excess of 8000 rounds of varying chamberings, pistol and rifle.
    Did I have some early exasperation's-you bet. Did CS help-without fail.
    Do I expect perfection in a man made item-nope.

Try working on biological systems and see the variability-the manual does not cover all the "changes" the creator mixed in. I have tried calling customer service while performing surgery but God did not answer.

Just my .02

Gary
  9. stev32k

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to order this one http://powderfunnels.com/ I was told it is dead simple to set up and very accurate. Kinda pricey for a small piece of steel, but maybe it will work (I hope).
  10. gary0529

gary0529 Member

stev,
    that is the one i purchased and it works great.

i agree in that it was what i thought a lot for a small piece of machined steel but it works like a charm.
    i am sure you will be satisfied

Gary
  11. stev32k

Thanks for the endorsement. That makes me feel better about it.
  12. Waldog

Waldog Member

I've got two! I have loaded about 50,000+ with the powderfunnels and won't use anything else. Well Worth the money!!