Experienced case neck turners?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/13/02 6:31:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Experienced case neck turners?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey fellas...Do any of you folks turn your case necks? I'm looking for the best one to buy...A handheld device would work fine if it was recomended since I wont be loading millions for the rifel. If the attachment for the case trimmer is recomended, is it easy to use? Can it be used in conjunction with the trimmer? Thanks truck loads!

Donny
    ~-~Courage is not the lack of fear...
    but the presence of faith.~-~

Tailgunner1954
    (4/13/02 9:20:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Experienced case neck turners?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I use the RCBS unit. It has a fine pitch screw feed (spring loaded) and the cutter head / reamer-pilot screws into the same hole as the trim cutter. Once installed I don't take the in-feed drive part off, just the cutter head. I have only needed to cut the neck OD once, to true up the uneven wall thickness, but I do run them over the ID reamer every 5 reloads.

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/13/02 9:45:15 pm)
    Sounds easy enough...You say "every 5 reloads"(I'm assuming this is Inside Diameter)...How many times do you reload your rifel brass?

Thanks bro...

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/13/02 9:57:15 pm)
    Use the Foster-Applett case trimmer with inside/outside neck turning tools. Usually just use the outside trim tool. Military brass is normally trimmed, due to wall thickness. As tailgunner said (Welcome to the Board, BTW, Tailgunner!) after 5 reloads or so, the brass can flow toward the neck and thicken it, usually in uneven flows. Most rifle chambers are sized such that a normal case will wear out prior to developing excessive pressures due to too thick case necks. Some rag writers even suggest not bothering to trim case necks.

A single neck trim usually sufficies for the life of the case (10-15 reloads, if moderate loadings are used, less if going the high velocity max loadings).

Never used a hand trimmer - they should be just about as effective and cost a lot less than the standard collet type of trimmer.

Be advised - DON'T trim too much of the neck thickness!!! You want to be able to maintain a firm grip on the bullet. A thin neck will wear quickly and start splitting, and will not provide the proper tension on the bullet.

Tailgunner1954
    (4/13/02 10:38:06 pm)
    Don to answer you question, yes i ment reaming the ID. My cases are at 20 full power reloads and still going strong, but (and a big but at that) I am using a minimum spec. match chamber and I only neck size that brass, so my brass dosn't get worked much. Somewhere I read (writers opinion) that a 30-06 with a good match chamber will wear out the barrel before you burn up 100 cases. (and yes my barrel is zorched after 7000 rounds, and heading out for replacement next week)

Kdub Thanks for the welcome

Edited by: Tailgunner1954 at: 4/13/02 11:49:56 pm

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/14/02 1:28:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del <---Happy camper
    Cool!

Still being new to all this I figured since most people only load pistol brass 5 times or so, that rifel brass was the same...Heck I have enough 25-06 brass to last me a life time now!

Edited by: Donny Henry at: 4/14/02 2:29:23 pm

Tailgunner1954
    (4/14/02 3:30:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: <---Happy camper
    HTH feel free to contact me with any questions, off board, if you wish

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/14/02 6:08:38 pm)
    Sounds great! Thanks...These guys have helped me a lot...I wouldn't know what a case neck trimmer was without them...After hearing about them I did some research and found one guy that claimed a 30% difference/improvement in his groups after true'ing(sp?) up his case necks. Would you say that was a pretty accurate statement?

Tailgunner1954
    (4/15/02 5:30:51 pm)
    one guy that claimed a 30% difference/improvement in his groups after true'ing(sp?) up his case necks. Would you say that was a pretty accurate statement?

Between 10% and 30% is possable but with a few ifs.
    Most guys that get deep enough into accuracy to start turning necks, will also be doing other accuracy enhansing things at the same time , like full case prep / inspection weighing each charge, matching brass by weight, etc. Each one of these things helps some, and all the testing/ load workup gives you plenty of time to practice your bench technique, which also reduces group size.