The Firearms Forum banner

Experiences with .38super?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Bindernut 
#1 ·
Hey all.. Im just curious to know if anyone has any experience with .38super... I am looking at getting a 1911 but want to shoot something that will be less expensive than .45acp

Just looking for pros and cons of the round... not ballistics..

The gun would be used for target shooting and for open carry when riding ATV's in the woods.

Thanks in advance for the input:cool:

#2 ·
Get a Springfield Loaded 1911. They make them in .45, but offer them in 9mm as well I believe.

Trust me, it's well worth dropping $1k on a Springfield Loaded 1911. I plan on doing it when I save up the extra money.

#3 ·
Well hogger.. the 1911 that I liked the best after doing a compairison was a Rock Island Tactical. I put it up next to a Taurus, a standard Rock Island, a Para, a Springfield GI.45, and a Springfield Loaded and liked the Rock Island Tactical better than any of the others. The action was smoother, the trigger was crisper, and the weight was more likeable...

#5 ·
Im not 100% certain Josh.. Im just tossing out ideas at the moment. Brainstorming, if you will.. Ive also considered a 9mm 1911.....

#6 ·
I think you will find that factory .38 Super is much more expensive than .45 ACP, since it does not have the demand that the larger cartridge has. For example, most of my .45 shooting in recent years has been done with (relatively) inexpensive Hungarian .45 ammo, but they don't make .38 Super.

For reloading, there is little difference and .38 Super bullets are often a lot harder to get than .45 bullets. .38 Super has some advantages over .45 ACP, but if the only reason for going to it is economy, I think you will be disappointed.

Jim

#7 ·
Thanks Jim.. thats what I realized today at the gun shop:(

#8 ·
9mm Luger would be a better choice if you want something smaller and with less recoil than .45 ACP. The problem there, IMHO, is that a 1911 in 9mm is just too much gun when much smaller packages are available in that caliber. A plus is that 9mm in a full size 1911 or even a steel Commander is a pussycat.

Jim

#9 ·
Recoil really isnt the issue.. but you do have a point about 9mm being extremely tame in a 1911.

My intentions for this next purchase is to be a birthday present to myself.. and Im afraid at this point that even I'm gonna be suprised when my birthday rolls around!:rolleyes:

#11 · (Edited)
Over the years I have owned and/or shot numerous 9mm 1911 pattern pistols. They have been generally fairly accurate, but usually out of the box not as accurate as an out of the box Browning HP. And then amongst the recent polymer framed entrants into the world of quite accurate for the money 9mm pistols, the Springfield XD and XDM are my favorites. A friend bought a used 9mm XD and out of the box it out shot a number of other brands out to 25 yards. If you can possibly arrange it, see if you can take someones 9mm XD or XDM for a test drive and then if possibly compare that experience to shooting a BHP. And for what its worth when you are out on your ATV, you'll also appreciate the ruggedness and the overall lighter weight of the XD.

#12 ·
I've one in a Colt frame. It is a good, flat-shooting pistol, very enjoyable for target work, and would probably work well as a carry weapon. However, if you choose to shoot it frequently, you will 'home load', as the ammo is not readily available, and expensive as well. It is easy to home-load, as are most straight-walled calibers.

#13 ·
Over the years I have owned and/or shot numerous 9mm 1911 pattern pistols. They have been generally fairly accurate, but usually out of the box not as accurate as an out of the box Browning HP. And then amongst the recent polymer framed entrants into the world of quite accurate for the money 9mm pistols, the Springfield XD and XDM are my favorites. A friend bought a used 9mm XD and out of the box it out shot a number of other brands out to 25 yards. If you can possibly arrange it, see if you can take someones 9mm XD or XDM for a test drive and then if possibly compare that experience to shooting a BHP. And for what its worth when you are out on your ATV, you'll also appreciate the ruggedness and the overall lighter weight of the XD.
oldeyes.. Thanks for the input.. but I already have an XD in .357sig and have a spare .40s&w barrel. And IF I sold firearms.. itd be the first to go. I dislike it because of the way it shoots. Low and to the left, with both calibers, a plethora of ammo choices, and even with different shooters. However; I do like the way the grip feels.

After owning a Glock... I prefer them way over the XD/HS2000

I've one in a Colt frame. It is a good, flat-shooting pistol, very enjoyable for target work, and would probably work well as a carry weapon. However, if you choose to shoot it frequently, you will 'home load', as the ammo is not readily available, and expensive as well. It is easy to home-load, as are most straight-walled calibers.
Thank you for the input as well kirker... I may end up with a .38super 1911 eventually.. but for now what I have decided to do is get a Glock 19 so I can use it for off duty carry, woods carry, and range time.. and to thwart even the price of $14 a box 9mm, I think I'll get a .22LR conversion kit.;):cool:

#14 ·
Yup, as you've already found out .38 Super isn't a cheaper caliber to shoot than .45ACP since it's not a real common caliber. Around here, a few guys used to use them for plate shooting when loaded hot so the round would make "major" power factor but otherwise it's a tough one to find ammo for.

I still need to add a .38Super to my stable yet (and would love to build a .38Super/10mm combo rig on it). I'm not doing much plate or pin shooting anymore, but it's just a long time itch that I might finally scratch someday! LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.