1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Exploding 45. Dirty from suppressed fire

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Oti-1, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Oti-1

Oti-1 New Member

My fnp tactical exploded in my hands after running 60 round with an osprey 45 attatched.

The supressor make the gun very dirty due to the increased pressures. Does anyone have a recommended 45 load for supressed application. 45 cal.

I have access to oragon trail 230 grn lead round nose. I use zip-hogdon universal and sihloet

The explosion is still under investigation. It seemed that the round didn't fully chamber and blew the case at the extrator. All the guts went out the bottom.
    Nothing in the barrel. I didn't experience any usual squid symptoms. Maybe a light charge then rearended a lodged bullet pushing the bullet back into the case against the powder charge.

I don't know
  2. garydude

garydude Member

Hello Oti-1
    I'm certainly not the best to answer your question, but don't like seeing new members' questions go unanswered. If you are looking for clean loads in 45 ACP then I would recommend not using lead at all, and instead go with jacketed or plated bullets. The lube from the lead bullets tends to be pretty smokey and could contribute to your mishap. I would recommend powders such as titegroup and power pistol for less soot. Titegroup is the cleanest that I have come across so far. Here's a thread that goes over some of the powders I have used in 45 ACP http://thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=82912&highlight=quantify

Best of luck on your endeavors as I haven't tried a suppressor, nor an fnp yet, but it's a fine looking pistol from the pics I saw online. I hope you are okay and that your pistol is reparable.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I doubt the round not chambering was from the weapon being dirty, supressors do not increase pressures, they dont even contact the bullet. they are simply a device that allows the gasses behind the projectile to expand and dissipate in a controlled chamber, or series of chambers so it doesnt crack when the bullet exits the muzzle.

Exploding FNs are seeming to be on the norm, yours isnt the first I have heard of and prolly wont be the last. First one I heard of was a FiveseveN, did the exact same thing. cartridge didnt fully chamber and the round fired out of battery. Except the 5.7X28 is a high pressure round so the grip frame also exploded and ripped the flesh off the shooters hand. You seem to be lucky you weere shooting .45ACP and didnt suffer injury.

My guess is the weapon itself malfunctioned (most likely) and caused the round to fire unchambered. OR one of your handloads may have been out of spec and not let the slide and barrel lock up, either way the FNs have an issue with allowing the weapon fire out of battery. Id cram it up FNs ass and buy a good threaded 1911...;)
  4. Oti-1

Oti-1 New Member

Well i appritiate the respons. As you could imagine, a 1200$ gun blowing in your hand causes much internal and external debate. The next day my pal and i loaded our first 50 round for his bmg. When he fired it I hid behind the truck. :). 240 grains as aposed to 5.2. Anyway, I've been shooting my 1911 since and my acr. Both haven't let me down yet. So now it's a matter of determining if I made a mistake with a load or the gun is faulty. It sounds as if fnp's are blowing. I've heard of the 5.7 with a supressor exploding very frequently, but I have yet to hear of the tactical 45 problems. The gun is better in my hands than any sig or hk. It's still hard to beat 1911 colt, but the Fn has 15+1 optic on top, simple take down, ambi everything and super good fit. And I have small hands. The follow up shots are incredible.

Any more info on the fnp's falability would be welcome. I sent the gun back and thus far it's slated for replacement. That being the case, I don't wish to blow another gun.

I have since stopped the lead loading. But still the supressed fire causes so much gunk in the gun and even the mag. I will try your powder recommendations. Thanks.
  5. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I was just curious, are you using a supressor or a compensator on your gun?
  6. Oti-1

Oti-1 New Member

I'm using an osprey 45 from silencer co. Sound supressor.

I've noticed an extreme amount of powder residue and massive carbon deposits after only one mag. 15 rounds. Without the can the runs clean. The problem is the baffles in a can can't absorb all the air pressure from the bullet. It would seem that it blows a considerable amount back into the gun. It even makes the magazine coated in tough carbon. The trigger group is a mess. And aside from a solvent tank, it's almost impossible to clean.

I figure I'll try some diff powders and mellow out on the supresson fire.

It's just so damn fun. The fnp and osprey are an unbelievably quiet combo. After the frp, it's just a light thud and the action that is heard. With a touch of water, no frp( burning up the available oxygen in the can and making loud crack)
  7. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Seeing that I have never fired a gun with a silencer on it and being they are illegal for me to use I would really not know why you are having this problem or how much fun it is. Your explanation sounds correct though, about there being some back pressure due to the fact the silencer is to small or like you said the baffling is some how causing it.
  8. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

you could try that new winchester powder autocomp, it's made for compensator or suppressors. don't know if it will help, as I don't have any experience with silencers ether.
  9. Oti-1

Oti-1 New Member

Thanks I'll look into the powder. I hadn't heard of such a thing. Couldnt hurt. I should nock on wood now. ;)
  10. Oti-1

Oti-1 New Member

Thanks I'll look into the powder. I hadn't heard of such a thing. Couldnt hurt. I should nock on wood now. ;)
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

double tap???