exploding bullets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gunfreakboy, Oct 1, 2005.

1. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

I remember seeing or reading something about development of plastic bullets which shatter when they hit so as not to get any through and through and damage innocents. Anybody know anything about 'em. I am also a CSI fan and saw one where a guy used a bullet made out of frozen hamburger. Sounds like a load of bull to me (pun intended).
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

They make frangable ammo. I believe it is just metal glued together in small pieces so that it comes apart in pieces less than a millimeter or so, so it doesn't over-penetrate. I dont know about the plastic though. Seems like that would foul up a barrel.

The frozen hamburger would most likely not work. I'd imagine it would be next to impossible to load correctly. Then again, I could be wrong. Never tried it...
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  3. stash247

stash247 New Member

Take a look at the Glaser ammo, if you wanna see what technology can do
    It's basically a load of #12 shot, in a copper shot cup, suspended in teflon.

A cop's dream, surgeons nightmare, one shot stops, with calibers like .32 acp, .380 acp, are the rule. Shootees, when, if seldom, they arrive, alive, have hundreds of pellets in the vicinity of the entry wound, and a long surgical procedure; usually, at taxpayers expense.
    There are others, of course, but none that provide the immunity from over penetration, or deflection, with collateral damage, as this round, in the hands of casual shooters, like cops.
    Personally, I prefer penetration, to expansion, within some limits, of course.
    Favored load is a 200 gr hard cast bullet, over a moderate load of WW 231, assuming daily carry conditions;if two shots, center of mass, elicit no response, the rest go directly into the 'control room', til the threat goes away!
    Shot placement is the key; bullet performace is a crutch. Terry
  4. shooter4

shooter4 New Member

CSI is not real, its just hollywood.

Watch forensic files instead, that's real.
  5. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

about as unreal as you can get.
    Last week they ID'd the perp because he had a burn on his finger from picking up a hot case geeezzzz they need to get real
  6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I once found a wild woman just by smell :D :D :D and she was real took me all day to get away from that thing :eek: :eek: :p :D ;)
  7. kar298

kar298 New Member

they tried the frozen meat bullet on Myth busters and as soon as the meat left the barrel it just dexploded into meat dust on the balistic gel that they were shooting at with no penetration at all. they also tried a ice cube bullet also did the same as the meat bullet just ice dust over the balistic gel
  8. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Gotta love that show. I wish I got more channels so I could watch that.
  9. kar298

kar298 New Member

yeah i think its one of the best shows on tv these days