1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Exploding Glock (with pics)

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Night Stalker, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Night Stalker

Night Stalker New Member

A friend sent me a link to two seperate articles on "expoding" Glocks. I was considering buying a Glock 21, but now I think otherwise. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Below are the pics and a few of the articles.... any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oregon Department's Exploding .45 Glocks
    03/13/2004

Police replace faulty handguns
    The bureau is switching to 9mm Glocks after two .45-caliber models exploded in the hands of two Portland officers

By MAXINE BERNSTEIN, The Oregonian

After two .45-caliber Glock Model 21 firearms exploded in the hands of two Portland police officers during training this month, Police Chief Derrick Foxworth this week ordered a recall of the weapons carried by 230 Portland officers. "We don't want a reoccurrence of this happening again," Foxworth said. "It's the prudent thing to do."

The Portland Police Bureau thought the problem was caused by an ammunition malfunction. After the second explosion three days later, the bureau's training division did further analysis and determined the explosions may have been caused by a defect in the weapon or a design problem.

The handgun is carried by about a quarter of the bureau's officers.

Police will switch to 9 mm handguns.

The bureau has 150 9mm Glocks in its inventory, but it will acquire more and will replace officers' holsters.

On Friday, training division officers met with a Glock representative. They are negotiating to replace the .45-caliber weapons with 9mm handguns at no cost.

Officials at Georgia-based Glock declined to comment, saying the company's general counsel was out of the office until Tuesday.

Because the .45-caliber Glock is popular among law enforcement, the Portland police training officers sent a teletype to agencies nationwide. They heard back from several, including agencies in Florida and Texas, that had similar problems. Other agencies, including the Los Angeles Police Department, and Multnomah and Clackamas counties sheriff's departments, reported no problems.

The Portland incidents occurred during the bureau's advanced academy firearm training.

In a March 11 memo to officers, Foxworth wrote of what he called the "catastrophic failures" with the Glock pistols.

Officer Mike Close "was on the firing line, and his gun basically exploded in his hand," Foxworth said. Close's fingers were bruised, and some metal lodged in his skin. He was treated at a hospital and released.

Three days later, the same thing happened to Officer Florin Pirv, who was not injured.

The training staff withdrew the practice ammunition, but further study revealed more serious problems.

A records check also showed a similar event occurred in 1997.

"An examination of the two guns revealed rupturing of the barrel, bulging of the slide, and the destruction of the trigger bag, magazine release mechanism, magazine and receiver," the chief's memo said.

In each case, the bullet failed to feed into the weapon's barrel, and the primer ignited, causing an explosion that blew out the magazine seated into the weapon, police said.

The weapon's recall was the topic of discussion at police roll calls Friday.

Gang Enforcement Officer Steve Collins, who has carried a .45-caliber Glock for more than 10 years, said: "I've always felt confident with it, but now that this has come to light, it's not worth it."

The bureau said it would start replacing the guns first for patrol officers in the operations branch, followed by detectives.

The chief also halted practice shooting and firearm qualifications with the .45-caliber pistols. The swapping of firearms is expected to occur during the next month.

"The design of the 9mm Glock is different and would eliminate the possibility of this happening," said training Lt. John Tellis.

"That's why in our opinion, the 9 mm is the safer gun."

Article 2 on an exploding Glock...

The following narrative is from TheGunZone visitor Michael Pinson:

My next door neighbor in Columbus, Ohio just bought a new Glock Model 21. This incident happened on January 14, 2002. He shot about 50-75 rounds from it and it "exploded." It was a new factory gun using new factory .45 ACP ammo.

The shooter, who is a Mifflin Township police officer, a Columbus fireman and (until now) a Glock fan, was practicing to requalify for his police status. At the Columbus police range they use what he calls "grab bag ammo," just a lot of different brands. (They get deals on bulk ammo from various gun dealers around town for practice... target ammo, etc., no hollow points). While it isn't the best it also isn't the cheapest. It usually consists of PMC, Speer Lawman, Olin / Winchester, Remington / UMC and Blazer among others, as they get deals on quantities of ammo for this purpose. While he isn't sure exactly what type went through the gun he assures me there was no aluminum on the day in question, it was all brass. No reloads are allowed at the police shooting range. Also no hot loads, all 230 grain rounds.

He is right handed but was shooting left handed at the time (good thing, since everything blew out to the right). Approximately seven or eight magazines of ammo were shot before the kB! event. He had on a leather glove and really didn't know what happened. A piece cut his hand (slightly) and a piece hit his chin. You can see in the photos what happened to the pistol. It also blew the spring and the rounds in the magzine out the bottom.

The shooter/owner bought the gun at Vance's in Columbus. He took it back January 15th. Vance's said they would pay for shipping but Glock had to honor the warranty. The following day a Glock representative came into town specifically to talk to the shooter. The Glock Rep. told him that "this never happened before" and they are going to give him a new pistol. The Glock Rep. is also blaming the ammo.
    When questioned as to specifics on the rounds being fired, and when it was strongly suggested that it sounded more like reloaded or remanufactured ammunition, Pinson insisted that they were "all new factory rounds."

I am dubious due to the lack of specifics on the ammunition which caused the event. It is certain that something unfortunate happened, but what or who was at fault is open to serious question, and despite the Glock representative's absurd assertion that "this never happened before," until more factual information is forthcoming I concur that it more than likely was caused by faulty ammunition.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  2. outdoortexas

outdoortexas New Member

Although I have not witnessed one...
    here's a link worth reading before you decide not to buy a Glock my friend.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb.html#do

Do kB!s occur in other guns or just in Glocks?
    kB!s do, of course, occur in other guns, but no one appears to be keeping accurate statistics for most of them. Many 1911-style handguns have partially unsupported case mouths, and numerous case separations have occurred in these guns. Early .38 Super barrels were particularly susceptible, and the critical observer may have noticed the predilection among USPSA .38 Super competitors for full beards in an attempt to cloak the vestiages of what came to be known as "super face."

Respected firearms author Frank James, in 1994, documented a number of kB!s in HK USP .40 pistols, which do have fully supported chambers. (But see this!)

There's another link I can't find right now with a 1911 in pieces, seems it can and does happen to all of them.

Seems to me...the Glock draws heat the same as GW Bush... :D
    ya either love 'em, or hate 'em...
  3. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

Thousands upon thousands of 10mm rounds shot through mine and they are the most powerful round Glock chambers for. If they don't blow up with the ten mm then I'd bet it's bad ammo, reloaded ammo, overloaded ammo, obstructed barrel, etc.

I trust mine with my life, it's what I use for home defense (Glock 20) and it's what I carry concealed (Glock 29). Sometime soon I'm gonna start reloading, THEN (and only then) I'll start holding my breath a little when I shoot, but part of that is because I'm relatively new to reloading too.
  4. Raven18940

Raven18940 New Member

Yikes, that could have been me or any of us. It's a small percentage, but still hard to ignore. That's why I like 9mm, not enough chamber pressure to really hurt you. Maybe I'll just carry a revolver and never have to worry about this.
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I could be wrong but I thought the 9mm had much higher pressures than the 45acp.....

I also owned a Glock 21 45acp. My friend loaded up some really hot 45's and we went shooting with them. They were hot enough to make that G21 feel like the 10mm and beyond..... One round was so hot it felt like a 44mag. Nothing happened to the gun....nothing at all. I remember looking at the brass which all seemed normal at a glance. I suppose some of them may have been bulged, but if they were they were'nt bulged that bad, because they looked like normal spent brass to me......

So for anyone that wants to buy a 45 caliber Glock 21 or 21c I would have to say.....GO FOR IT !!!!!
    I just took a look at a 21c the other day, and its all i can think about now..... :D

mike
    gn
  6. Shamus

Shamus New Member

:rolleyes:
    I'd bet all my nickles it's ammo related. Bulk reloads w/lead build-up = K-Boom

But what do I have to worry about :D I just bought a Glock 26 9mm.
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

How about we take a look at "Mean Working Pressure" for the rounds involved. Here is a breakdown, you decide. Remember that these are the pressures that manufacturers load to.

9mm - 35,000 PSI
    40 S&W - 35,000 PSI
    10 mm - 37,500 PSI
    45 ACP - 21,000 PSI

Still any wonder why the 45 ACP is still around? The numbers tell the whole story! Anybody doubt why the 45 ACP has been around for 100 years????

GLOCKS SUCK!!!!!!
  8. Mateomasfeo

Mateomasfeo New Member

I thought they were SUPPOSED to blow up!

I been kinda angry cause mine hasn't blown up in over 3000 rounds of .45...a lot of those were +p's. It has functioned fine.

It seems that Glock may be having a problem with the later model .45's and the earlier guns are not involved.

Old faithful...

[​IMG]
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Just don't start firing reloads in it! :D :D :D :D

Buying ammo is not in my vocabulary. I reload everything that I shoot! Unfortunately those that shoot GLOCKS, are not supposed to, as witnessed by the warning in the instruction manual that comes with the pistol. I bought 40 S&W, brought it home, read the manual and took it back to the dealer for a refund!! Bought another 1911 instead! I also cast the bullets for what I fire in handguns. Can't do that either! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
  10. mballai

mballai New Member

On one of the newsgroups I subscribe to, a very serious and accomplished trainer had his wife's Glock 36 kb with factory ammo. The gun wasn't old or heavily used and it was well taken care of and always used with factory ammo.

The consensus is that the Glock just doesn't scale up all that well--9mm Glock kbs are very rare. Not so with the larger calibers. Really a shame, I loved both of the Glocks I bought, a 23 and a 30 which replaced it. The G30s are really accurate. But I ain't risking my skin for something that's supposed to protect it. :mad:
  11. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

http://www.thegunzone.com/1911a1-kb.html

If you look at the above link you will see that Glocks are not the only firearms that are succeptable to KB's. In fact most all firearms, from rifles to handguns, have experienced KB's. Before I bought my Glock I did a lot of research both online and at the local gun range and some owners as well. Being no expert myself I came to the conclusion :

Most of Glock KB's are due to the shooter using faulty ammunition. It states in the Glock owners manual NOT to use reloaded ammo. You are supposed to use ONLY commercial ammo. You cannot use lead bullets due to the fact that lead greatly increases the pressures because of the octagonal or hexagonal rifling in Glock barrels, so therefore you use ONLY FMJ bullets.

Also, it seems that the majority of KB's occur with the .40 pistols, something to do with the higher pressures generated with this caliber..... and reloads.

Want a 21?? Go get one and shoot a lot of factory ammo and enjoy it.

Oh I almost forgot, if you want to shoot lead bullets you can buy an aftermarket barrel that does not have the hexagonal rifling and shoot all the lead you want.

I love my 19!

Attached Files:

12. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

How about that! Doesn't say what caused it! Wonder what it was???? Imagine a shooter has a squib load and then jacks in the next load with an obturated barrel. KaBoom! Yup, that's right, maybe it was an obturated barrel, a double load during reloading who knows what. However, it does NOT say it was due to factory ammo as the GLOCKS have been noted to disintegrate with? Got another example??? That one don't count! :D :D :D :D :D

SO FAR,,, GLOCKS STILL SUCK!
  13. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hydra Shok writes:
    Maybe you didn't see my post on pressures above. Just a thought??????
    I thought it put the 9mm, 10mm, and 40S&W in the same pressure range. Now what???

Tupperware Rules??????????

GLOCKS STILL SUCK!
  14. Raven18940

Raven18940 New Member

hmmmm, the 9mm comment was only supposed to be smaller=safer except for the person I point at. I didn't really know anything about the chamber pressures, but I learned something. I still think .45 is an outdated cartidge. I thought .40 was similar in terms of energy to .45 with less recoil, but I might be wrong.
  15. Raven18940

Raven18940 New Member

The 9mm glocks are designed differently, meaning no boomage. And 10mm isn't the most common kB round because it's not that popular, .40 is very popular. If the picture is what happens when a .45 goes kB, then I'd hate to be holding the 10mm that goes boom.