Extend a Mag 1953 Russian SKS

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Cherry62Olds, Dec 22, 2009.

?

Is This A worthwhile Modification?

Poll closed Dec 27, 2009.
  1. Less Time Reloading = More Good Fun!

62.5%
  2. Too Much Work/Not Easy Mod

25.0%
  3. Wouldn't Know...

12.5%
  1. Cherry62Olds

Cherry62Olds New Member

Just wondering if I could get some genereal info/links about, how to, and where to, find what I would need to upgrade my fixed 10 round magazine on my original 1953 Tula SKS. Also opinions are definitely encouraged if anyone has performed this "upgrade". Thanks! In advance...
  2. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

It is an easy conversion. Works well
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Don't know any thing about upgrades. With my Russian SKS all I hade to do was remove the ten round mag. and replace it with a 30 round mag. 30 rounds in a mag is a lot more fun than ten!
  4. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I've done & it's fine but has a couple of drawbacks. If all you have is the thirty round mag you'll be shooting standing up. Kinda hard to shoot from the bench or prone. Also, with bullets that weigh more than twice what .223 bullets it adds lots of weight to the rifle with a full mag.
  5. Cherry62Olds

Cherry62Olds New Member

Would I be limited to just the 30 rd if I went that route, or would the 20/30rd mags be interchangeable?
  6. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

China made a 20 rnd. fixed mag like the original that I have heard works pretty well. I have personally used the Tapco 20 rnd mags and they work great. Not sure if anyone has ever extended an original mag. I don't think it could be reasonably done and with all the aftermarket options you can get 20 or 30 rnd. mags from many different suppliers. Not all SKS mags are the same. I have had some of the older ones that work fine (blued steel). Some of the new mags that are painted black are poorly made and have given me trouble. IMHO Tapco makes the best. I would stay away from promag, they have given me trouble also.
  7. Cherry62Olds

Cherry62Olds New Member

Where should I look to get information or a guide on how to do this mod?
  8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Do a forum search.
  9. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

10. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

11. 100 Bullets

100 Bullets New Member

I have some extra some 20 Round tapco mags that I am getting rid of. I agree with popgunner the 30 rounders are too big and bulkly and matters a lot it using for hunting.