Extended mags for Yugo SKS

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by polishshooter, Nov 10, 2006.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Has anybody tried putting a 20 or 30 rounder on a Yugo SKS? I know they don't work on all of them, or maybe work WELL.

I always wanted to pick up one of those "Zytel" 30 rounders SOG has cheap and try it on my Romanian, but I never got around to it before I sold it.

Now I'm getting the same "itch" for the Yugo...

Are they hard to convert to the detachables?
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

All it takes is pulling the trigger group out and putting it back in without the fixed mag. The Zytel's are crap when you fill em full of rounds the plastic stretches and won't fit in the gun I would get the steel one if you go with any. The only problems I have ever had with the steel 30 rounders is the first 29 rounds feed fine and the 30th would jam. And the 5 round mag, I haven't had luck with them they jammed or fell out of the gun.
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

SS, is your's a Yugo?

I've heard it said you should stay away from any of the twenty rounders, which is what I originally wanted to try, is that true?

And do you still have to load them through the top with strippers, or do they detach and replace like other rifle mags?
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Mine is a Chinese but most of my friends shoot Yugo's.
    I believe the Chinese was the only one to ever use the 20 round fixed magazine. The only other ones with 20 rounders were the ones that accept AK magazines. I am gonna give you a link for Simonov rifles this site is the greatest for info on SKS if they don't have the info it don't exist.
    http://www.simonov.net/newmain.htm
  5. BigSam77

BigSam77 New Member

I have two of the yugo's. One was a new one that I kept original and restored the wood. The other has a t6 stock with a couple of the 30 round detachable magazines. It is a very simple thing to take the fixed one out. and once you do that this one operates similar to any other rifle with detached mag. You can still load them with the stripper clip, but it might be a little more clumsy than before. It is easier to just treat it like an ak and pull the mag out and load normally. The sks is such a fun range shooter, it is a blast to have the extra rounds right there ready.