Extra carry ammo concealment

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by delta13soultaker, Dec 24, 2006.

1. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I just wanted to quickly share something I've been doing to keep my extra carry magazine hidden in plain sight. Where I live now it's hot enough to wear a T-shirt on Christmas Eve...which got me thinking that a lot of other people do too and might find this tip useful since summer clothes make concealment difficult.

I used to carry an extra mag in a standard belt-loop magazine pouch. A while back I started carrying them in an extra Leatherman Tool or Gerber knife pouch. Buck knife pouches work too if you prefer a snap closed flap as opposed to velcro.

A Gerber Tool/Leatherman Tool case can hold most hi-cap or 1911 mags. I found a belt-loop case for a sharpening stone that holds a .380 mag perfectly too.

It's very easy to withdraw a mag from these types of pouches and until you do it holds them very secure. They are also plentiful enough that most of us have lots laying around in the truck, boat etc. If you don't own any...they are cheaper than mag pouches anyway.

This trick may not be new to some people but some of ya may of never seen it. If you're reaching for your wallet and snag your shirt up to expose a pocketknife pouch it gets wayyyy less attention than a big double stack stick with a gleaming jacketed hollow point cartridge on top! No one is naive enough to not realize they're looking at a pistol magazine...even if they don't see the rounds. (But another Leatherman... no big deal) Anyway, I find it easier to just have to worry about not flashing one side of my belt than worrying about both sides...thus hide 'em in plain sight.

Hope this is useful to many. If anyone has any tips I'd be glad to hear them.

Happy Holidays to all.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Adjustable cell phone holsters are great
  3. Sounds like a reasonable solution, delta, at least for autos. I often carry a .38 snubbie and use Bianchi Speed Strips to carry the reloads.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I like........hide it in plain sight. ;)
  5. delta13soultaker

Thanks for the input. A cellphone holster is a good option.

Pistol...so ya just keep those speed strips in your back pocket I'm supposing?
  6. Ursus

Ursus New Member

I've used a Gerber knife pouch too an they're great...except that around here most people are more used to see mag. pouches than Gerber's pouches...so when I'm actually carryng my knife, everyone think I'm carrying... a mag.:) (I'd try the cell phone approach, it will be better, I'm sure)
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Since I'm on Oxygen 24/7/365, I carry both my portable heater and the extra speed loaders in my hand held oxygen case. No one would suspect that I am not only packing but have plenty of extra ammo handy! My usual everyday item is a Smith Moedl 60.

When I carry either the Browning HP or the 1911, I similarly have at least two extra magazines in the case, too. My HP mags are either 15 or 17 capacity, factory made Argentine military surplus.
  8. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

I can here the comments now.

I rarely, if ever carry spare mags. I will carry extra ammo in my vehicle while traveling.

In the old days, I carried a CCW revolver and used an ammo wallet for spares. Worked very well.

I cannot imagine needing more than 11 rounds for self defense. Situation avoidance is the best defense.

If I were to carry spare mags, I would certainly use the leatherman or cell phone case ideas. They are outstanding ideas.
  9. delta13soultaker

Marlin, I'm gonna say you're making best use of a situation. I'd say your loaded to turn back the horde, sir.
  10. Ursus

Ursus New Member

True. But this is also an argument for those who are against people carrying a gun. They say they dont see the need... Better to have it and not need it.... that applies to extra ammo too I think.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  11. delta13soultaker

I agree about the extra ammo, but IMHO it's a good policy to have that extra magazine too because no matter how good quality they are, they are the weakest link in the function of a "self-stuffer". Having said that....there've been plenty times I broke my own policy.
  12. obxned

obxned New Member

I use a cheap black nylon pouch sold for large folding knives. It just happens to be a perfect fit for my .45 mags.

In real warm weather, I carry a .380 and just stuff a spare mag in my pocket.