extraction problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gpostal, Nov 9, 2003.

1. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

ok ,i took my new old .45 out today and i had a extraction problem ,every few rounds it would leave the spent round in the pipe , ,the extracter does look a bit rounded off ,not sharp like most i have seen , BUT not knowing 1911's like i would like to ,i am not for sure that was 100% the problem , the recoil spring is very stiff , i am not sue if i was getting a proper lock up , i used 165 grain hydra-shocks ,and winchester 185fmj's , both happened about every 5th round , also when it occasionally chucked a fired case up and right onto my arm in the crease of my elbow

i would guess the recoil spring is over 18 pounds , but the random ejection , makes me lean toward extractor

any ideals
  2. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

further working the slide also feels a little "gritty" ,it's clean as whistle ,but feels this way when pulled al the way back ,and worked back and forth
  3. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

You could try adjusting the tension on the extractor. Shooter45 had an excellent thread on this not long ago in the 1911 forum. Or, you could just install a Wilson BulletProof extractor.
  4. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

i couldn't find the thread

comparing it to a good 1911 , i dont think there is enough meat in the extractor , i also think the frame and slide are a bit to tight ,this is why i get the gritty feel , i am going to polish the insides of both and replace the extractor

accuracy was fine with it ,even though i didn't get it on paper yet i hit the old trusty beer cans at 30 yrds with no problem
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

GP, check the 1911 Forum.

Marlin made a post, " I Need Help Badly".

The info you need is in there.
  6. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

thanks alot shooter ,i finally got the fireingpin stop out ,it was way to tight , i filed it down a bit it fits back tight but not as tight as it was ,took me a hour to coax it out

now about the extractor , it looks apears to look as if it were cast not solid steel {apears} , might be just coated ,but it has a line down it like as if it were cast , anyway i think i will just replace it ,theres not to much meat left in the hook
  7. VIPERGTSR01

VIPERGTSR01 New Member

ive heard smearing your ammo with gun oil can help some extraction problems like that
  8. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

as i pulled out a snapper cap it would fall a bit loose

but now i just did what shooter suggested ,and it is very tight now ,its grabs them and hangs on to them real good until it hits the extractor , i guess i wont really know until i shoot it again
    although i still would like to replace it
  9. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

i found a local wilson master dealer ,and gots me a new bullet proof extractor ,thats some hardend steel

it seems to fit as suggested ,i also picked me up a wilson-rodgers 7 rnd mag ,they are nice ,you can really tell the difference

man it is so hard not to go in the basement and rap off a few rounds, i have a safe and unusual place to do it ,its just the noise
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Postal,

You will like the Wilson Mags. Best on the market.

Second best, Metalform mags.

Your extractor problem should be solved.

Keep us posted.
  11. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

could be GAPs hehe
  12. 4 eyed six shooter

4 eyed six shooter New Member

You don't want to adjust that extractor too tight. It should just hold a loaded cartridge , without letting it fall free. If it is too tight you might start having failure to feed problems as the cartridge can have a hard time slipping into the hook. Also, a light radius on the bottom of the hook where the cartridge slips in helps. Like I said, light radius. Do not overdo.
    John K