extras with an SKS purchase

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by board917, Jul 3, 2007.

1. board917

board917 New Member

i just picked up a mint condition yugo SKS for $189 (i think i did pretty good). The gun came with some other stuff like a leather ammo pouch, a lube bottle and leather pouch for it, a leather strap and something else that im not sure wut it is and i was hoping someone elses did. The gun came with a long piece of string, looks like hemp, with lead weights at each end and a hole spliced in the middle... wut is this and wuts it for?
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Probably a "pull through" bore cleaner...you put a patch in the slot, then drop one of the weights down the bore until it drops through then you "Pull it through...."

I've gotten a couple of those with Mosin Nagant "packages' too...

My Yugo SKS came with a cleaning kit in the trapdoor stock, but no cleaning rod, but luckily, the M44 rods and the SKS rods are interchangeable, and I have an extra one of those....

And $189 for a "mint" Yugo is about what they are going for now, wholesale, they are drying up....I paid $99 for my "shooter" retail at Dunhams on sale, when SOG had them for $89....and the "Mint unfired' were like $129...now the "shooters" are like $149-$179 and the mints are pushing 2 bills....
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  3. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Yup, it's a pull-through. more compact and lightweight than a cleaning rod. Made one up for my shotgun that I use with sheets of bulk patch material I picked up, and my Enfield has an original.

One of my favorite pictures ever is in a book I've now lost. The pic is of a soldier of the 22nd Dragoon Gaurds, "pulling-through" during a lull on Sword beach, on D-Day.